What's new

1 pair of twisted cables to short.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howie411

Regular Contributor
So my house is prewired with Cat5e. But the builders didnt leave much slack on the cables and did an even worse job of crimping some of the ports. I'm trying to fix one where only 2 of the pairs where used. The problem is that the green/green-white pair is insanely short, almost into the wall jack.

Is there anything I can do the extend 1 set of wires?

Thanks

So my house is prewired with Cat5e. But the builders didnt leave much slack on the cables and did an even worse job of crimping some of the ports. I'm trying to fix one where only 2 of the pairs where used. The problem is that the green/green-white pair is insanely short, almost into the wall jack.

Thanks

Not really.

Ethernet is pretty picky about properly terminating (no splicing) the wires.

Thanks

They should have terminated the CAT5 cables to a wall jack, and then you plug into that...

Thanks

Cut and recrimp end to plug. Plug into coupler.

With work that shoddy, I'd make sure they ran lines to a central point instead of daisy chaining.

thanks, sorry if I wasnt to clear. The green wires are almost so short, they barely make it to the wall jack port. So recrimping is becoming an issue since no slack on the green wires.

thanks, sorry if I wasnt to clear. The green wires are almost so short, they barely make it to the wall jack port. So recrimping is becoming an issue since no slack on the green wires.

All internal wires should be exactly the same length, otherwise ethernet will have problems.

If you can't re pull that run using the cable which is to short as a draw string then another option to try is cutting into the wall above or below the existing box/outlet (depending if the cable is coming from the top or bottom ) then your options are:

Relocate the jack to a the location where you have enough slack to correctly terminate a keystone jack and patch the old location or cover it with a blank plate.

Cut into the wall as per above and install a male jack on the cable, then use an Ethernet coupler and a short piece of cable to extend up to where the existing outlet is and terminate it using a keystone jack. You will then have to patch the hole or cover the hole with a blank plate.

With good termination your extended run should be good for a 100 Mbps connection. If you need gigabyte then probably re pulling the cable is the only option.

Cutting holes in drywall for wiring boxes with a plunge type drywall saw is a trivial project. Patching drywall isn't difficult if you have the paint for a touch up. If you don't want to patch and paint just fasten a blank switch plate over the hole and call it a day.

I spliced all pairs in one cable to reach the basement from where the router is. Works good no issues for many years. I am certified for DOD mil-spec. soldering.

I spliced all pairs in the cable to reach the basement from where the router is. Works good no issues for many years. I am certified for DOD mil-spec. soldering.

GbE?