What's new

10 GbE buying list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have not done this in a while but what comes to mind is you need the wave link in nm to match and the diameter in fiber to be the same size. The wave link needs to match on distance. We only bought glass fiber, no plastic. We used multimode and not single mode as it was much cheaper.

You can be too hot on a short run which is something you need to check unlike copper. Single mode can do 100 miles.

Last edited:
You can be too hot on a short run which is something you need to check unlike copper. Single mode can do 100 miles.

So in the case above, the transceiver is rated for 10 kilometres, does that mean that it will be too hot on the cable length I need which is 1500 meters?

Are those the two numbers I need to match, or is there more to it?

The transceivers need to be within range. They have a range of 10 kilometers but what is the minimum. The Vender will know if 1500 meters is too close. The nanometers need to be the same through out as well as the glass diameter.

And most importantly DO NOT look at the light of a single mode laser. IT will hurt your eyes. If you need to check for light use a mirror. The laser will burn your eyes.

I guess you know that one fiber is transmit and the other is receive. And of course they need to be reversed on the other end to work.

Last edited:
The transceivers need to be within range. They have a range of 10 kilometers but what is the minimum. The Vender will know if 1500 meters is too close.

The website just says "Length: up to 10km". The next strongest transceiver says "up to 300m". So I'm guessing that I have picked the right reciever for the job which is more than 300m and less than 10km.

The nanometers need to be the same through out as well as the glass diameter.

Is see nanometers on the transceiver specs which is 1310nm.

You mentioned that nanometers have to be the same. Do you simply mean that the two transceivers need to match?

I guess you know that one fiber is transmit and the other is receive. And of course they need to be reversed on the other end to work.

I wasn't aware, thanks.

Yes they have to match. The fiber has to match as well or it will not work. Make sure the transceivers are power tunable.
Get a cable with at least 2 pairs, if not 4. Unless you want to rent a fusion splicer and technician to fix fiber cracks or distortion.
Also, you cannot "pull" fiber unless it has a built in structural wire. It has to be laid into position.
Make sure you comply with the minimum radius on any bends or you will stress the fiber and damage it. Don't count on the cable to limit the bend.

The fiber has to match as well or it will not work.
Which specs am I looking at exactly? The cable on my buying list doesn't mention much.

Make sure the transceivers are power tunable.
Can you explain this? The transceivers I am looking at doesn't mention that it can be tuned.

Get a cable with at least 2 pairs, if not 4.
Could you elaborate?

Also, you cannot "pull" fiber unless it has a built in structural wire. It has to be laid into position.
The cable I linked to mentions both "tactical" and "military grade mesh protected". Does this mean that the cable is strong enough to be pulled or should it also be laid?

1) all operate on the same wavelength
2) dB power range - auto tune or configure
3) in case there are defects or you break one during install or after
4) marketing terms.

4) marketing terms.
If neither "tactical" or "military grade mesh protected" refers to robustness, what exactly am I looking for if I want a cable that is close to BNC HD-SDI cable in strength, and can be "pulled" or moved around without damaging it?

...I want a cable that is close to BNC HD-SDI cable in strength, and can be "pulled" or moved around without damaging it?
That's a really tall order. I'm sure such a cable exists, but it will probably be as big as a BNC HD-SDI and cost 100x as much.

for cabling you can use PVC piping to help protect it if you are doing outdoor. Dont just soak the bare cable in drains. A water tight pipe even PVC (As long as it is resistant to acid and chemicals - rain and waste).

Military grade obviously is better quality, but i doubt you have bullets, explosions and shrapnel to worry about along with heavy vibrations. You dont really need military grade if you allow your cable to have enough length to stretch about inside the pipe for both heat and when you're pulling.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!