What's new

10Gbase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rwatkins

New Around Here
2 questions regarding 10 GBE.
1) Which physical port configuration is most widely used and/or cheapest (when wiring is taken into account)? Options seem to include CX4, RJ45 copper, and FC Fiber.
2) Looking for recomendations for cheap switches. So-far, the best I have seen is the Netgear at around $700, but only 8 ports. Are there any managed, 24port switches which may be relativly cheap?
Im looking to use 10GBE for a separate iSCSI network as existing 1GBE iSCSI is just too slow for my database devices. Ideally, im looking for at least a 4x improvement over existing 1GBE speeds for iSCSI traffic.

The most common port configuration in DataCenters is to use Twin-ax SFP+ cables.
These go to the Top of the Rack switch
From there you usually have Fiber going to your Distribution or Core switch depending on how large the datacenter is.

Define "relatively cheap"
I can usually find a Dell Force10 or Powerconnect switch on Ebay for about $2000-$2500

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!