What's new

10gBaseT switch from Asus coming out "soon"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cloud200

The model number is XG-D2008
As long as it is (significantly) cheaper than the offerings from Zyxel and Netgear I can see SOHO and even smaller businesses buying these.
http://press.asus.com/PressReleases...ifestyle-Innovations-at-CES-2016#.Vo6kM0qa5hE

XG-D2008 10-Gigabit switch

ASUS XG-D2008 is the first 10-Gigabit (10G) network switch with enterprise-level performance and consumer-friendly pricing designed for gaming, home office, and small business use. XG-D2008 features easy plug-and-play installation, 10G RJ-45 ports for full compatibility with new and existing network devices, and enhanced bandwidth suitable for LAN gaming.​

201601060555363786.png

Edit: Source

Is it going to be a layer 3 switch? If you try to route with a router the packets are going to be in slow motion.

Maybe faster routers are coming?

As soon as a 'consumer' router is available with 10GbE ports, this (or similar) is a must buy even for home users. Especially as more an more ISP's offer 1GbE service at affordable prices.

I think the target market is users with a 10gbe NAS and PCs

If an AC class router with enough antennae (6 or more) and clients are used, it is an additional target market for low cost 10GbE switches.

Whoever has 10GbE NAS and PC's will already have 10GbE switches in use - but to add this switch will be 'required' for true AC5300 and higher with the appropriate ISP.

You know I slept on it and I think a pfsense box with a 10GIG card is going to be an great combo with this switch.

One of the upsides - if they can introduce reasonably affordable 10GigE - I'd be ok with that...

If anything - just to knock on the door of other players in the SOHO/SNB markets - folks that want 10G can get it now, it's just very costly...

whats the point of LACP on 10G if the other end is 8G of ports? Its good for stacking and servers. Just like my CCR with 2 SFP+ and 8G ethernet but at least mine is managed so i dont need another router and is ready for 10G internet which doesnt seem like it will ever come to the UK.

Well I can still see a few use cases although it is lessened with only 2x 10gbe ports.

Things you can stick on em;
2gb+ internet connection. With an extra 10gbe port you can uplink to other parts of a house without bottlenecking.
NAS with a 10gbe port and a pc with one as well. This use case is a little meh now since you can just connect the NAS direct to the pc over 10gbe and both to the network over 1gbe.
Two NAS units on the network at 10gbe that backup from one to the other but same caveat as with pc and NAS.

So true. We do need to start some where with 10 GIG.

Similar to 1G - get unmanaged switches out there first at an affordable price point.. and then on-board 10G NIC's on the enthusiast motherboards for PC's...

The SOHO routers will then follow...

The market isn't there for mass consumer. Consumers want wireless. If you want 10G, you'll pay.

The market isn't there for mass consumer. Consumers want wireless. If you want 10G, you'll pay.
So then the targeted audience for this device is what then?

Pick 2 of 3 and stick on the 10gbe ports:
Multi Gigabit Internet connection
NAS with a 10gbe port
WAP/Router with a 10gbe port
. . .
. . .
That makes sense . . .
Wireless Router with a 10gbe port

The important question is, how much will this cost? Will it cost more than my mikrotik CRS?
For a router with 10Gb/e it must have somewhere else for that bandwidth to go to. Could be a collection of wifi and LAN and WAN ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!