What's new

10GbE Options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mystik1

Occasional Visitor
Before anyone says "what could you need 10GbE for anyway", I will say that I do not need 10GbE, but I do need more than 1GbE. So, I am looking for options. I have a NAS (Synology) that is connected 10GbE using a Thunderbolt to 10GbE adapter directly to my PC. However, the problems I am having are when extracting very large archives on the PC 30-80GB. I am aware that if I did the extraction directly on the NAS, I would not have this issue, but it is automated through the solution I use. So, it has to be that way. I am hitting 100% on network when doing that. Is there any option I can buy where I would not need a separate switch? Otherwise, what would you suggest? Ideally, if I am going to have to buy a new router, I'd like for it to have WiFi 6 too. My phone is the only thing I have that supports Wifi 6. So, it's not a must, and I have read on here the speed is not great anyway, but if upgrading regardless.... Thanks much in advance.

May suggest you buy a 1 gig switch with 10gig uplink ports. Plug your NAS into a 10gig port. This way all your local traffic will be shared across one switch's backplane. This will give you the best performance. And if the switch is layer 3 then there is nothing faster.

May suggest you buy a 1 gig switch with 10gig uplink ports. Plug your NAS into a 10gig port. This way all your local traffic will be shared across one switch's backplane. This will give you the best performance. And if the switch is layer 3 then there is nothing faster.

Thanks much for the reply. Would that be the only thing I needed? Wouldn't I need 10 GbE back into the PC also? Or would I connect from my adapter (connected to the PC) into the switch also?

Apologies that I am not so well versed on the specifics here. Is there a certain product you would suggest by chance?

You need 10GbE all around and not with Consumer grade equipment. As for the files, extract on the server if quicker. 7-zip can handle large files better. Plenty of info out there on building a cost conscious 10GbE network.

The Cisco small business 10gig switches have 2 uplink ports so could both the NAS and workstation could be on 10gig. No reason to buy a 10gig router unless you are going to have 10gig internet.

I'm confused by your original post.
I have a NAS (Synology) that is connected 10GbE using a Thunderbolt to 10GbE adapter directly to my PC
If it is already 10gbe, then what are you trying to accomplish?

Do you have a second ethernet port in the NAS?
Do you have a second ethernet port in your PC? (Or can you install one,?)

Before anyone says "what could you need 10GbE for anyway", I will say that I do not need 10GbE, but I do need more than 1GbE. So, I am looking for options. I have a NAS (Synology) that is connected 10GbE using a Thunderbolt to 10GbE adapter directly to my PC. However, the problems I am having are when extracting very large archives on the PC 30-80GB. I am aware that if I did the extraction directly on the NAS, I would not have this issue, but it is automated through the solution I use. So, it has to be that way. I am hitting 100% on network when doing that. Is there any option I can buy where I would not need a separate switch? Otherwise, what would you suggest? Ideally, if I am going to have to buy a new router, I'd like for it to have WiFi 6 too. My phone is the only thing I have that supports Wifi 6. So, it's not a must, and I have read on here the speed is not great anyway, but if upgrading regardless.... Thanks much in advance.
If you asked me, i honestly do not care whether or not you need something but rather if you want something and have the budget without ruining someone elses lives, like if you wanted 100Gb/s or scalable high bandwidth blade servers for routing like used in T1 internet exchanges that can do layer 7 filtering at insane speeds.

The problem with thunderbolt is bandwidth contention. many chipsets implement thunderbolt on the southbridge with potential contention and only have x4 PCIe connected to CPU. NICs tend to be connected here too but some NICs are PCIe connected to CPU (depends on PC). Whats happening is that thunderbolt and storage are both fighting together for that x4 PCIe bandwidth which while is at 40Gb/s for PCIe x4 V3+, if you have PCIe SSDs or massive raids can use up all that bandwidth.

Alienware implements AGA on the CPU's PCIe lanes instead of others that use the southbridge. Im not sure if MSI's dual thunderbolt is CPU based by splitting x8 GPU, x4 thunderbolt (2x), x4 southbridge (20 lanes total for CPU for intel mid to high end CPUs) or if its using the single southbridge thunderbolt interface divided into 2 giving 2x each or that there are 2 interfaces on the southbridge. The best way to test is to set up a RAM drive and then test, and also check in device manager that the NIC is connected with the right bandwidth. If your 10Gb/s NIC is PCIe V2 based, than you'll need all 4 lanes to get 10Gb/s.

Get this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFKGP1L/?tag=snbforums-20