What's new

110 vs. Krone vs. Hybrid 110/Krone Terminals

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
From my research, terminals (keystone jacks or patch panels) that have angled IDC's are Krone. Ones with perpendicular/straight IDC's are 110 and others that have perpendicular/straight but with "butterfly" cutouts are hybrid 110/Krone (can be used with either punchdown tool blade).

I bought these from Monoprice and they were spec'ed (at least according to their website) as 110's but the actual product have angled connectors as shown in the pics. At first I thought "what the heck!" because I only had a 110/66 tool available. But the 110 blade went through the terminals without any resistance. So I don't know.

I then contacted Monoprice and instead of giving me a technical answer they just refunded me for those jacks right away, bummer!

Then I came across this thread which looks like the OP has the same question as mine. I tried searching for other threads for "hybrid 110/Krone" but came up empty. I still have a strong feeling that this is also one type of hybrid (the other one is like I described above) but is just not advertised well.

Do you guys have any ideas? I don't want using the wrong tool for this home project just because "it fits".

I think you are correct about the angled IDC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krone_LSA-PLUS
Krone LSA-PLUS (or simply krone) is an insulation-displacement connector for telecommunications. It is a proprietary European alternative to 110 block.
Compared to 110, Krone can be easily identified by its contact slots arranged at a 45 degree angle to the wire. Unlike 66- and 110-style IDC punch blocks, Krone contacts can be used with stranded conductors. The contacts use silver to inhibit corrosion and require a Krone-specific punch down tool for wire insertion. Krone blocks are also available in versions which can handle frequencies much higher than conventional blocks.

I bought these from Monoprice and they were spec'ed (at least according to their website) as 110's but the actual product have angled connectors as shown in the pics.
I can't see any pictures that show the connectors, angled or otherwise. Maybe they've updated their website since you reported it.

I think you are correct about the angled IDC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krone_LSA-PLUS

I can't see any pictures that show the connectors, angled or otherwise. Maybe they've updated their website since you reported it.

To see the picture, choose the white version of the connector.

I understand the Krone angled connector but how do you explain the 110 tool being able to freely go into that slot? You can also see that the slot has somewhat a butterfly contour too which probably makes it hybrid.

There's a video here. If you start viewing at 16:30 he shows you a hybrid Krone/110 with butterfly. I don't see anything that looks like a butterfly in this picture from Monoprice. At 17:35 in the video he demonstrates trying to put a 110 tool into a Krone connector.

So I'd say the Monoprice picture is of a standard Krone.

There's a video here. If you start viewing at 16:30 he shows you a hybrid Krone/110 with butterfly. I don't see anything that looks like a butterfly in this picture from Monoprice. At 17:35 in the video he demonstrates trying to put a 110 tool into a Krone connector.

So I'd say the Monoprice picture is of a standard Krone.

Yes, that is the very first video I've watched when doing research on this and my statements in the OP are based off of this video. You're probably right but I still am not sure what the other guy is saying on this thread. I always thought the item descriptions from Monoprice were accurate, I guess not.

There's quite a few "Dual IDC" patch panels showing up in Google, mostly Russian. But they all have angled blades, like this.

The Krone-only connectors have a little angled notch in the corner of the plastic hole. It might be my imagination but the dual/universal connectors just seem to have a slightly bigger rectangular hole.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!