What's new

117 MB/s wireless AC limitation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Where is the problem?

i think you are missing the point here

if the wifi is bottlenecked at 177MB/s which is the max throughput of the ethernet to ethernet and nothing will go past this 117MB/s ceiling wifi wise

so until 2.5 gig or 5 gig ethernet makes its way to domestic routers anything new will just hit this ceiling and give no more

meaning we would have no need to test these new devices as they will all just cap at the same wifi ceiling when we are talking ma throughput and seeing as the max power transmission has been reached there simply cant be any improvement in wifi till this ceiling is expanded

wonder how manufactures are going to claim faster speeds and coverage till then ?

pete

i think you are missing the point here

if the wifi is bottlenecked at 177MB/s which is the max throughput of the ethernet to ethernet and nothing will go past this 117MB/s ceiling wifi wise

so until 2.5 gig or 5 gig ethernet makes its way to domestic routers anything new will just hit this ceiling and give no more

meaning we would have no need to test these new devices as they will all just cap at the same wifi ceiling when we are talking ma throughput and seeing as the max power transmission has been reached there simply cant be any improvement in wifi till this ceiling is expanded

wonder how manufactures are going to claim faster speeds and coverage till then ?

pete

Are we talking about wired to wired speeds or wireless to wireless/wired speeds?

I thought your tests included wifi, so the maximum of ~177MByte makes sense.

so my NAS ethernet to ( asus rt-ac88u ) comp ethernet is maxxed out speed is 117Mb/s

my nas connected by giga ethernet to ( aus rt-ac88u ) wifi is also now maxxing out at 117MB/s

so the wifi is hitting the ethenet max limit and so the giga ethernet has become the bottleneck

so at this stage we will be limited in wifi throughput by the bottleneck of the hardware ethernet

if and when we get 2.5gig ethernet we may then see a performance increase in throughput and speed over wifi

so my NAS ethernet to ( asus rt-ac88u ) comp ethernet is maxxed out speed is 117Mb/s

my nas connected by giga ethernet to ( aus rt-ac88u ) wifi is also now maxxing out at 117MB/s

so the wifi is hitting the ethenet max limit and so the giga ethernet has become the bottleneck

so at this stage we will be limited in wifi throughput by the bottleneck of the hardware ethernet

if and when we get 2.5gig ethernet we may then see a performance increase in throughput and speed over wifi

Both of your examples include a NAS connected via 1GBit ethernet, so why would you expect a throughput that exceeds 1Gbit/125MByte?

Edit: 1Gbit = 125MByte, not 120.

Last edited:
We really desperately need 10GbE on consumer routers, 1GbE is beyond obsolete and decrepit. From a hardware standpoint, it should not increase the BOM cost by much, we are just in a situation of companies making the adapters for the enterprise market, are price gouging because their customers have deeper pockets. Many of these companies are simply drunk on the profit margins, and refuse to take the basic consumer market out of the stone age, as it would mean that they would have to sell non paleolithic era technology as a reasonable price.

e.g., (profit margins!) http://electronics360.globalspec.co...orks-acx2000-universal-access-router-teardown
http://electronics360.globalspec.co...-12c-ft-d-aggregation-service-router-teardown

The only reason why 10GbE equipment is still so expensive is because router makers refuse to let go of the astronomical profit margins because they are too short sighted. If they could accept a smaller profit margin, they would overall make more money as well over a billion people begin to upgrade their Ethernet adapters.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!