16-port gigabit with POE and fanless

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by lleo19, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lleo19

lleo19 Occasional Visitor

I have an 8-port switch that I have outgrown :)

Of course I could get a second 8-port switch and cascade it from the first one to get 13-ports.

Given my "server room" my first criteria is that the switch has to be silent, i.e. fanless. Jumbo frame support is also needed.
    Now if it also would provide POE over at least a few ports which would allow for better AP and network camera locations.
    Does not need to be managed or smart, but if it is, I could use some of the basic functions as well.

There are a few 8-port switches that meet the above criteria, but 16-port switches seem to be rare, and most have noisy fans.

Cheers, Lorant

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Very Senior Member

I'm not aware of any POE switches that are silent/fanless.

3. lleo19

lleo19 Occasional Visitor

I think the SMC SMCGS8P-Smart is fanless and can provide upto 60W total of POE on all 8 ports. From what I remember Linksys 8-port smart switches are also fanless.
    I am not aware of any in 16-port version. There are few 16-port and 24-port switches that do not have POE and are fanless.

4. scotty

scotty Senior Member

Same here. I tried to look for one a year ago for a customer for a one-off job and couldn't find one. Most PoE switches I've dealt with draw a fair bit of power, obviously, thus I think it would be hard to find a fanless one.

5. corndog

corndog Regular Contributor

3com OfficeConnect 9. PoE. Managed. Fanless. But only 9 ports.

6. jdabbs

jdabbs Super Moderator

10/100 though.

7. FreedomPirate01

FreedomPirate01 Occasional Visitor

i'm interested in the SMC SMCGS8P-Smart

if i only use one poe device how much power will it draw?

8. Pugs_KDC

Pugs_KDC Occasional Visitor

umm that is because it uses the other 2 pairs to send the power down the cable.......

9. jdabbs

jdabbs Super Moderator

Gigabit and PoE are not mutually exclusive.

10. Pugs_KDC

Pugs_KDC Occasional Visitor

true only on gear that has seperate power outlets for things but most use the outer pairs which then brings it down to a 100mb connection. and for domestic gear this is fine but commercail gear would offer more choices....

also to the op 24 ports for most vendors is the smallest they would have POE on their switches

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  11. mojo

mojo New Around Here

Let's check some facts, shall we?
    As to the OPs question, would it be so terrible to use a second switch to provide your PoE? PoE is most of the time used for APs, and APs wouldn't take advantage of gigabit anyways, so I really see no harm in using a 10/100 switch with PoE for that. A couple suitable candidates have been mentioned already, and I'm familiar with the netgear FS116P which is a 16 port with 8 port PoE small fanless switch that should suit your needs quite well.