What's new

16-port gigabit with POE and fanless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lleo19

Occasional Visitor
I have an 8-port switch that I have outgrown :)

Of course I could get a second 8-port switch and cascade it from the first one to get 13-ports.

Given my "server room" my first criteria is that the switch has to be silent, i.e. fanless. Jumbo frame support is also needed.
Now if it also would provide POE over at least a few ports which would allow for better AP and network camera locations.
Does not need to be managed or smart, but if it is, I could use some of the basic functions as well.

There are a few 8-port switches that meet the above criteria, but 16-port switches seem to be rare, and most have noisy fans.

Cheers, Lorant

I think the SMC SMCGS8P-Smart is fanless and can provide upto 60W total of POE on all 8 ports. From what I remember Linksys 8-port smart switches are also fanless.
I am not aware of any in 16-port version. There are few 16-port and 24-port switches that do not have POE and are fanless.

I'm not aware of any POE switches that are silent/fanless.

Same here. I tried to look for one a year ago for a customer for a one-off job and couldn't find one. Most PoE switches I've dealt with draw a fair bit of power, obviously, thus I think it would be hard to find a fanless one.

Same here. I tried to look for one a year ago for a customer for a one-off job and couldn't find one. Most PoE switches I've dealt with draw a fair bit of power, obviously, thus I think it would be hard to find a fanless one.

3com OfficeConnect 9. PoE. Managed. Fanless. But only 9 ports.

Gigabit and PoE are not mutually exclusive.

true only on gear that has seperate power outlets for things but most use the outer pairs which then brings it down to a 100mb connection. and for domestic gear this is fine but commercail gear would offer more choices....

also to the op 24 ports for most vendors is the smallest they would have POE on their switches

Last edited:
true only on gear that has seperate power outlets for things but most use the outer pairs which then brings it down to a 100mb connection. and for domestic gear this is fine but commercail gear would offer more choices....

also to the op 24 ports for most vendors is the smallest they would have POE on their switches
Let's check some facts, shall we?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_ethernet said:
Two modes, A and B, are available.

Mode A has two alternate configurations (MDI and MDI-X), using the same pairs but with different polarities. In mode A, pins 1-2 (pair #2 in T568B wiring) form one side of the 48 V DC, and pins 3-6 (pair #3 in T568B) form the other side. These are the same two pairs used for data transmission in 10Base-T and 100Base-TX, allowing the provision of both power and data over only two pairs in such networks. The free polarity allows for patch cables and automatic RX/TX detection.

As to the OPs question, would it be so terrible to use a second switch to provide your PoE? PoE is most of the time used for APs, and APs wouldn't take advantage of gigabit anyways, so I really see no harm in using a 10/100 switch with PoE for that. A couple suitable candidates have been mentioned already, and I'm familiar with the netgear FS116P which is a 16 port with 8 port PoE small fanless switch that should suit your needs quite well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!