What's new

1Gbps WAN dog slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KoSoVaR

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Just upgraded to 1Gbps and noticed dog slow speeds, ~20Mbps. I realized I had QoS enabled and killed that off. Ok, so now I get 250-300Mbps. Directly connected I get 950Mbps, just shy of advertised speeds. Fine, but now my ASUS RT-AC87 flashed with 380.63_2 just isn't cutting it. I'm trying to figure out why...

I noticed that under tools I see HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with:

Doesn't say anything, but it did say my OpenSSL VPN, which was fine, I disabled that thinking HW acceleration would be re-enabled.

Is this a common issue? How do I get that 1Gbps :)

Doesn't say anything

When it shows that, it usually means you need to reboot the router to re-enable hardware acceleration. Disabling QoS allowed it to work again, but a reboot is required afterward.

When it shows that, it usually means you need to reboot the router to re-enable hardware acceleration. Disabling QoS allowed it to work again, but a reboot is required afterward.

Just did, and you're right, it now says: Enabled (CTF only)

However, same results. 300Mbps max.

Alright, seemed that I thought I disabled the VPN tunnels but they were set to Start with WAN YES - however, I did turn this off and reboot, and it came back up. Oddly enough had to do this twice and it finally didn't start with WAN.

I also disabled STP and am still seeing only Enabled (CTF only)...

Is there something else I could have enabled that is not giving me the full HW acceleration?

So for a few minutes there I was getting ~800Mbps with STP disabled as well as having the OpenVPN clients not auto connect. It's now back down to ~300Mbps cieling... but I didn't (manually) change/enable anything. And CTF only is still showing.

Thanks @RMerlin for the response. Just using this for an outlet as I find out more... but the 300Mbps ceiling is very odd, as it's consistent...

What cable types are you using between router and modem, and between router and laptop? On the Tools->Sysinfo page are you seeing 1000 Full duplex under Network / Ethernet Ports.

Probably going to need to do a factory reset and minimal config. You should get around ~940 Mbps. Could use Johns nvrambackup tool to back up your settings to USB.

Don't think factory reset will do it. I refuse the method of resetting things to fix them although it does prove effective in some cases... like when you don't care to understand the problem.

I tried to disable the 5GHz radio and bam, got ~950Mbps throughput from my machine to the router. I re-enabled it and ~30 clients connected, back to ~400Mbps..

I don't think this thing is cut out for me. I may end up building my own mITX machine and run some pfSense. Pretty frustrated at this point, but all diagnostics lead to it's not powerful enough to handle everything I want it to do.

What type of clients and what were they doing while you tested?

I think this is a decent list.. give or take a few.
  • 3 Amazon Echo Dots
  • 1 Amazon Echo
  • 7 Sonos speakers
  • Several smart bridges (some Wired, some Wireless) Hue Bridge, Harmony Bridge, TP-Link Kasa, and Sonos Bridge. Soon to have a Lutron Caseta.
  • iMac
  • 3 iPhones
  • 1 iPad
  • Nest Camera
  • Wired TiVo set top box for guide info
  • Wired I then have my computer connected to it
Some light music streaming, Nest doing it's thing, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure how much load the router was engineered for, or what I should be expecting.

No QoS is happening, I would assume that running a speedtest would quickly consume all available bandwidth. The CPU spikes to 100% utilization and download speeds climb to ~400Mbps and stop.

The factory reset will clear out any invalid settings that may be conflicting with a prior version of the firmware. There have been numerous fixes by Asus that fixed issues with the 5GHz radio/firmware for the 87U. Seeing that you get maximum speed with the 5Ghz radio disabled there is likely a conflicting setting still lingering.

The factory reset will clear out any invalid settings that may be conflicting with a prior version of the firmware. There have been numerous fixes by Asus that fixed issues with the 5GHz radio/firmware for the 87U. Seeing that you get maximum speed with the 5Ghz radio disabled there is likely a conflicting setting still lingering.

I gave in to your demands :) .. so far I'm seeing ~850Mbps as I did when I rebooted/turned off WiFi. Hasn't dipped down yet. All devices connected after I set the SSIDs of the 5/24 networks up http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5849442618

Got ~550Mbps a few times while speedtest.net using FDC Servers in Chicago yielded ~890Mbps..

It still does take a little time for it to climb after hitting ~500Mbps... it's not "instant", as I've seen a Cisco ASA 5506 do, or a nice x86 router running pfSense. Or instant as it is when I have the modem directly connected to my PC.

I will most likely still build a small x86 based router based on an i7 6500 and some mITX components and utilize the router as a wireless AP.