What's new

2.4 ghz not working on my RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric C

New Around Here
I recently updated my firmware to ASUS latest version, and within a day the 2.4 stopped working. It seems like it's fine from everything I can see in the router app, but none of my devices can see it. I tried installing the latest merlin firmware but it seems to have not helped any. The router is probably 6 weeks old. The only thing I noticed is that the temperature on the 2.4 spikes somewhat wildly between 125f to 156f every other second or so.

The only thing I noticed is that the temperature on the 2.4 spikes somewhat wildly between 125f to 156f every other second or so.
Hi Eric,

That’s odd about the temperature spikes. Maybe the 2.4 radio is failing?

Did you do a factory reset, after installing Merlin? If not, try that first and then check temp again.

Hi Eric,

That’s odd about the temperature spikes. Maybe the 2.4 radio is failing?

Did you do a factory reset, after installing Merlin? If not, try that first and then check temp again.

I did just do a factory reset, same situation. I'll try to attach a screen shot, I'm also using the mac program WIFI Explorer Lite to try and see if I was just not seeing it, but it's not there.

The only thing I noticed is that the temperature on the 2.4 spikes somewhat wildly between 125f to 156f every other second or so.
if you want to solve it on your own you can open and adjust thermal stripes, think chip lost contact to cooling plate.

But better return sooner than later!

Last edited:
Here are a few images...

Attachments

• asus_screenshot_1.gif
    asus_screenshot_1.gif
    84.4 KB · Views: 553
  • asus_screenshot_2.gif
    asus_screenshot_2.gif
    64.7 KB · Views: 641
wow that was low quality, try these...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.54.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.54.41 AM.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 539
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.50.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.50.23 AM.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 590
Temperature spikes combined with the other symptoms look like a hardware issue to me. I would get a replacement.

Yeah, I ended up talking to amazon support, where I bought it from, and they are sending me out a replacement. Thanks all!

May not apply for amazon but for everyone out there it’s a good idea to flash original ASUS firmware before returning to a regular store. Some shop owners may argue warranty is void by flashing third party firmware.

Asus provides us with GPL, so it must be allowed to use it and build your own firmware and use it.
But before returning I would load stock again anyway.
Only for the case they are testing my issue and return unrepaird because they can say it my firmware causing whatever.
If you reload stock they have to except it as faulty.

You even can read everywhere you loose warrenty if you load ANY (even Asus update) firmware, but all illegal restrictions you wont take care of.