What's new

2.4Ghtz drops until reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wlord1

New Around Here
I have an asus RT AC66U with Merlin 380.65. Seems we get dropped from 2.4 from time to time and those devices no longer connect. The ones that have 5 switch over so its not noticed by end users. Wired connections work fine. I reboot and all is fine again, i don't really have a time frame that i know this happens in like 24hrs or 48. I had this problem awhile ago so i had updated the firmware from an earlier version to 380.65 with no avail.

System log isn't giving me anything i've been able to get more details. Anyone with experience with this? until recently this hadn't happened and the router hasn't been moved, the only changes were updates to firmware.

check your wifi chip temperatures. Ideally they should stay below 50C, above 50C may give you performance issues and above 60C can cause issues.

I have this in several locations. The only setting that solved this, was WiFi Mode set to Legacy

I'm using the same router and has this issue with both merlin and stock firmware. I did a full firmware recovery, reinstall stock firmware and then reflash Merlin. Take note of the CPU usage too, once CPU usage hit 100%, all wifi speed drop to 0mbit and restart again. 1st AC66U is 600Mhz with single core CPU. Wifi data transfer will consume a lot of CPU for each device so this will affect the performance if many devices is running or focussing on a single node.

thats not right, i've not see this much CPU usage for bridging on older MIPS based devices. Usually even a 600Mhz MIPS 24k should be capable of 2Gb/s of bridging performance. However this is with mikrotik, the firmware used on the ac66u isnt as refined for this stuff and RMerlin's firmware keeps the stock closed source broadcom routines. Its probably a broadcom driver issue.

It could also be that you have a feature running on it that consumes all the CPU so it cant bridge. If you can at least run top or even htop you could see what uses the CPU a lot.

2Gbs is not possible over WiFi, at 500mbits over Wifi will push the AC66U CPU to max, and this is only from one device connecting to it. Wired + WAN at 500mbits will push the cpu to 100% too. I have a 500/500mbits internet and a simple speedtest.net will push the cpu to 100%.

To achieve 500mbps, you need to be really close to the router which may not be in real life situatian, maybe a few devices can cause this. 2Gbs over LAN should not be an issue.

Will check what processes is causing this.

what i mean by 2Gb/s isnt on wifi but with ethernet, from 2 cpu connected ports. This means that if wifi could connect at 2Gb/s than it would forward that much.

Bridging uses less resource than NAT.