What's new

2.4GHz 600Mbps USB Wireless Adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2echo

New Around Here
My RT-AC87U's 5Ghz band is giving me problems. Tried different channels and other settings but to no avail. Am thinking of getting a USB wifi adapter to connect to the router's 2.4ghz band at 600Mbps. D-link has an adapter (DWA-192 AC1900) but I don't quite like the design. Is there other 2.4Ghz USB wireless adapter with external removable antennas? BTW I am new here :)

I read elsewhere on this forum that 600Mbps on 2.4Ghz is difficult to achieve .
It will require TurboQAM (aka QAM256) which is will get badly impacted by interference.

Hi tim, I believe Asus RT-AC87U has this TurboQAM technology? My wifi here is very crowded, scanned 40+ APs in range as I type so it is advisable to go with this or to troubleshoot 5Ghz band problems since I only scanned 3 5Ghz APs?

Hi tim, I believe Asus RT-AC87U has this TurboQAM technology? My wifi here is very crowded, scanned 40+ APs in range as I type so it is advisable to go with this or to troubleshoot 5Ghz band problems since I only scanned 3 5Ghz APs?

With that much crowding I doubt if TurboQAM will work (there are people far more knowledgeable then me here so hopefully one of them will provide some information).

Go with the less crowded 5Ghz band if you can.

Troubleshoot 5GHz problems. What is the distance between the router and the computer? If it is far/lots of walls or walls of a very sturdy build, 5GHz is not going to be very workable. That said, with 40 SSIDs in range, 2.4GHz operation is going to be problematic at best. Wiring the connection would be your best bet (possibly with powerline adapters if you need to).

The DWA-192 isn't shipping yet. Even if it were, you need 40 MHz bandwidth operation in 2.4 GHz to get the 600 Mbps link rate. If your router properly implements 40 MHz coexistence, it should fall back to 20 MHz bandwidth mode.

This means the maximum link rate you're most likely to get with an AC1900 adapter in 2.4 GHz is 289 Mbps. And if you get this link rate, it will only be with very strong signal level.

As azazel said, if you want high link rates, work on fixing your 5 GHz band problems.

With that much crowding I doubt if TurboQAM will work (there are people far more knowledgeable then me here so hopefully one of them will provide some information).

Go with the less crowded 5Ghz band if you can.

I see but the 5Ghz band is giving me headache, I have 3 AC clients connected to this router and there is no one fits all setting.

Troubleshoot 5GHz problems. What is the distance between the router and the computer? If it is far/lots of walls or walls of a very sturdy build, 5GHz is not going to be very workable. That said, with 40 SSIDs in range, 2.4GHz operation is going to be problematic at best. Wiring the connection would be your best bet (possibly with powerline adapters if you need to).

The distance is approximately 35ft and 3 concrete walls. Will continue to troubleshoot the 5Ghz signal frequent disconnecting problems. Thanks for your advise ;)

The DWA-192 isn't shipping yet. Even if it were, you need 40 MHz bandwidth operation in 2.4 GHz to get the 600 Mbps link rate. If your router properly implements 40 MHz coexistence, it should fall back to 20 MHz bandwidth mode.

This means the maximum link rate you're most likely to get with an AC1900 adapter in 2.4 GHz is 289 Mbps. And if you get this link rate, it will only be with very strong signal level.

As azazel said, if you want high link rates, work on fixing your 5 GHz band problems.

I see and I will work on fixing my 5Ghz band issues by testing all control channels and channel bandwidths. Thanks :D

There are no settings that are going to fix your problem. The 5 GHz signal can't get through that many concrete walls. They kill the signal. Your only alternative for 5 GHz is to move the router or add an Ethernet or powerline connected access point.

Yeah, the disconnect issues is because of massive signal attenuation. I can get an okay signal through a floor, 3 walls and about 35 feet of distance...but those are 2x4 walls. concrete, even thin ones are going to attenuate the HECK out of the signal. 5GHz working at that distance is unrealistic. Even 2.4GHz is going to have significant issues. As a note, that is an okay signal, if I move about another 10ft with just one more regular 2x4 wall in between and the signal goes from okay, capable of about 20MB/sec from my laptop with Intel 7260ac adapter from my 11ac router, down to about 3MB/sec down and occasional disconnects.

Moving the router, powerline, MoCA coax bridges or running Ethernet wiring are your only realistic options.

2x4 walls.. meaning drywall. Yes, it's about 2-3dB loss per layer of drywall, or about 3-6dB per (interior) wall - at 2.4GHz. Almost double at 5GHz. Exterior is often masonry (high loss), or stucco (medium loss).
Want to drill down? There's a US NIST pub on losses vs. freq. of common construction material. Plywood (subfloors) is quite high loss. As is an office building with poured concrete floors on some or all floors. Then there's elevator shaft walls.

Thanks everyone for advising me and also for sharing your valuable knowledge. I guess wiring or powerline is my only choice but I am still leaning toward wireless because it is a shame that I can't take full advantage of the wifi capabilities of this awesome router. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for advising me and also for sharing your valuable knowledge. I guess wiring or powerline is my only choice but I am still leaning toward wireless because it is a shame that I can't take full advantage of the wifi capabilities of this awesome router. :rolleyes:

Router can't make up for shortcomings of a handheld client device!