What's new

2.5" 2TB drives suitable for NAS use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Helzy

New Around Here
Morning all,

Seagate is not making any 2.5" Ironwolf drives currently and I was wondering about replacing a batch of four WD Blue 2.5" 5400 RPM drives in a NAS enclosure with these new 2TB Seagate ST2000LM015 drives. I have multiple WD Red 2.5" wd10jfcx drives, but they top out at 1TB. The Barracudas have a similar pricepoint for the 2TB model. Wondering if anyone has tried them or can point to a review of them in NAS use as my google-fu seems to be escaping me at them moment.

Thanks!

Morning all,

Seagate is not making any 2.5" Ironwolf drives currently and I was wondering about replacing a batch of four WD Blue 2.5" 5400 RPM drives in a NAS enclosure with these new 2TB Seagate ST2000LM015 drives. I have multiple WD Red 2.5" wd10jfcx drives, but they top out at 1TB. The Barracudas have a similar pricepoint for the 2TB model. Wondering if anyone has tried them or can point to a review of them in NAS use as my google-fu seems to be escaping me at them moment.

Thanks!
I have 4TB Seagate Internal hard drives in my NAS. I wasn't impressed with the quality because 3 drives had corrupted sectors within a couple months. They seem to be stable.

First place to check is QNAP's compatibility list as those are tested.

Previous poster mentioned the Seagate Exos/Exos Pro line - they're good, but a bit spendy...

Also consider HGST UltraStar drives - they have a few on their product line card that are suitable for near line applications.

The challenge is that 2.5 doesn't allow for large capacity - and many of the datacenter oriented devices might be SAS instead of SATA, and again, more on performance rather than capacity.

We'll thanks for the replies. I had already submitted feedback on the qnap forums for a request to test the drives. Sadly the unit is EOL at the end of the month yet still a rock solid unit. Doubtful they'll test but who knows. Thought perhaps someone here may have done so already. Again thanks for the feedback.