What's new

2 Way firewall router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simon Wait

New Around Here
Hi

I get the feeling this is basic stuff but want to get my head around it.

We have a network in the 10.0.0.x range which has a piece of equipment outputting UDP packets on ports 1001 and 1002.

These UDP packets need to reach two machines on a 172.16.0.x range (specifically 172.16.0.101 for the UDP on port 1001 and 172.16.0.102 for the packet on port 1002).

Whilst these two ports need to get through we do not want any other traffic to go in either direction.

I originally put a netgear router in between the two networks with the WAN set to 10.0.0.3 and the LAN 172.16.0.1. I then port forwarded port 1001 and 1002 to their respective PCs. This worked great.

The only thing I have realized is that a laptop sat on 172.16.0.2 can connect to the machine outputting the packets on 10.0.0.90. This is not good. I need a way to stop everything apart from UDP on these two ports. Ideally this needs to be hardware based or if it has to be software then something little like a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks in advance.

How about a Cisco SG300 layer 3 switch? It will do what you need. Or any layer 3 switch assuming you do not need a outside firewall and the 10 network is yours. You do not need a firewall to block the traffic to the UDP machines receiving the packets or sending. Just use ACLs in the layer 3 switch.

Last edited:
Do you have the separate networks on different VLANs? L3 switch or a router can then be setup to route specific port traffic one way only

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!