What's new

2017 ASUS ROUTER WIFI AP models ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

busch09

Regular Contributor
hi,

Any guess when the next gen (2017) asus wifi ap routers will be announced ?

Best regards
Bubba

you will have to wait and find out at CES 2107 :) as there was nothing new at CES 2016 for asus at this stage

Even though the BRT-AC828 has been talked about since May of this year, I think that is what I would be expecting to see for 2017. ;)

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/[maylyn-networking-preview]-asus-brt-ac828m2-router-5380402.html

Along with 2.5Gbps/5Gbps/10Gbps port(s) and possibly even 24 antennae too (if they finally get to 8x8:8).

Another great link (thanks sfx2000!) of what is coming down the pike.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/network-reference-library-wifi-resources.17610/page-2#post-279831

CES and Comdex seem to be the key announcement places - and sometimes products are floated out there and never shipped...

CES and Comdex seem to be the key announcement places - and sometimes products are floated out there and never shipped...

Asus tends to make a lot of product releases at Computex, their own backyard tradeshow.

Asus tends to make a lot of product releases at Computex, their own backyard tradeshow.

The ac828 seems to be targeting small offices and businesses. Too early to establish if the merlin firmware is going to support it?

The ac828 seems to be targeting small offices and businesses. Too early to establish if the merlin firmware is going to support it?

For the time being, I have no plan to support the BRT-AC828/M2.

BTW, speaking of the BRT-AC828/M2...

https://fccid.io/MSQ-RT0V00

So the release is getting closer... Thanks for clarify the merlin support, won't buy the router so..... :)
I guess that is not the successor of the AC88U? In the past few years they have been releasing 87U, 88U around October, November, didn't see anything yet, I thought the AC828 was it.........

Is Broadcom going away? I know there were rumours in March. Does this signify a total shift to Qualcomm for wifi chipsets?

So the release is getting closer... Thanks for clarify the merlin support, won't buy the router so..... :)
I guess that is not the successor of the AC88U? In the past few years they have been releasing 87U, 88U around October, November, didn't see anything yet, I thought the AC828 was it.........

That router is a new line of routers targeting businesses (hence the BRT prefix). It doesn't replace any existing products, it's a new product line.

A successor to the RT-AC88U would be a new router based on the BCM4908. Asus hasn't announced their plans about this platform yet, so I assume we won't see anything (if they do release routers based on that one) until somewhere in 2017.

Is Broadcom going away? I know there were rumours in March. Does this signify a total shift to Qualcomm for wifi chipsets?

That was a random rumour posted on a website well known for such things, so I wouldn't put any stock in it. Broadcom already has announced their next router chipset, so they ain't going anywhere.

Nobody knows about Asus's specific plans however, since they haven't announced any new model yet (beside the BRT-AC828).

How is the new asus that you saying in here, compare to the new netgear R9000 X10 that comes with AD Wifi protocol ?? thanks.

BRT-AC828 can be compare to a Netgear R7800 but the Netgear has NO 2Gbps aggregated ports, M2 Slot, and some more, BUT same AC performance: 800+1734 Mbps.
So its must be to ASUS favour.