What's new

215+ or 215j?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrbdmb

New Around Here
I have been running for a few years with a DS209 as my primary NAS (JBOD) and a D-Link 321 as a backup to that. Now that the DS209 is getting a bit long in the tooth I am considering moving it to a backup role and getting a new Synology NAS as a primary.

The new 215+ or the existing 215j seem like the best choices for me - the remaining 2014 units (214, 214play, 214+) still cost $300 or more, are one year closer to end-of-life, and just don't seems like a good deal. My main use other than backup is to run the Logitech (Squeezebox) music server. Almost all access is over wireless-N (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). Is there any reason for me to look at the 215+, or should the 215j meet my needs?

If the nomenclatures are unchanged from prior models, the 215j is a slower CPU and/or fewer cores than a 215+. And in prior years, a 2xx no +, no j, was middle of the road.
It's a cost/benefit issue.

I have a DS212 that's still going fine - just updated to DSM5.2 and also put in two WD-red 3TB drives. I use two volumes, no RAID1, for better protection. Via backups and via use of Synology's Time Backup (great tool).

If I were buying now, I'd go with another 2 volume (RAID5 or 6 is an overkill and too dangerous for SOHO use, in my opinion). Probably a DS214 due to price.

Or a 1 bay NAS with a big USB3 for backup.

I'm looking as well and my old 212j is under resourced, particularly when it comes to indexing media etc. I'm thinking of going to a 215+

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!