What's new

2x rt-ac66u DHCP problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thjazi

Occasional Visitor
2x rt-ac66u is awkward one is in bridge mode the other one is a router, connections are made to both devices, BUT whenever there is a DHCP lease (once every 24 hours) all connections drop to the router and it will show a page where it says that it has updated its settings, i can set the DHCP lease to one week but the cycle will happen every week instead of 24 hours. note that i can get connected to the bridge setting page, but the router will show a page that it has updated its settings.

i do not know how i can resolve this, i will not set DHCP to manual because i have like 20 devices to connect to wireless.

http://pastebin.com/T5MPLDaT log from the router

I've hit this on the AC3200. This happens to me whether the bridge device is an AC68, an AC87, or even the TP Link OnHub. The only way I don't hit this is if I turn off IPV6 on the main router. What non-default factory reset features do you have on?

I've hit this on the AC3200. This happens to me whether the bridge device is an AC68, an AC87, or even the TP Link OnHub. The only way I don't hit this is if I turn off IPV6 on the main router. What non-default factory reset features do you have on?

indeed IPV6 was on, its mostly factory default settings the only thing i changed was the DHCP lease to 604800 seconds

It looks like in my case turning off IPv6 simply lowered the frequency of the DHCP problem, as it happened again to me this weekend with IPv6 turned off. Rebooting the AC3200 repeatedly could not solve the problem. Rebooting other devices on the network did not solve the problem. Power cycling other devices also did not solve the problem. The only way I could get the router working again was to power cycle the AC3200 itself, so this is a pretty hairy issue without an easy (remotely-accessible) workaround. You and I can't be the only people hitting this issue...

It looks like in my case turning off IPv6 simply lowered the frequency of the DHCP problem, as it happened again to me this weekend with IPv6 turned off. Rebooting the AC3200 repeatedly could not solve the problem. Rebooting other devices on the network did not solve the problem. Power cycling other devices also did not solve the problem. The only way I could get the router working again was to power cycle the AC3200 itself, so this is a pretty hairy issue without an easy (remotely-accessible) workaround. You and I can't be the only people hitting this issue...

i still have not resolved this issue, it is really weird i try'd manual assigning of the DHCP no dice still restarting with the router NOT THE BRIDGE i still get the message:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC66U.
To access the settings of RT-AC66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

using Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.43_2-14E1j9527 (merlin fork)

the only wierd thing i see in the logs =
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Nov 8 16:07:47 nmbd[354]: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP.
Nov 8 16:07:47 nmbd[354]: Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup

overall i don't see a message in my router why it was offline for a sudden, i am out of options now and i don't know how i proceed after this.

@thjazi

A couple of things to check....
- On the WAN page, make sure DHCP query frequency is set to normal
- Could also be that you may have a second client acting as DHCP server on your network
- Could also be that you have two clients with the same name (set at the client) that's confusing the DHCP renewal

Is your access point hard wired to the router, or are you using a bridge?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

@thjazi

A couple of things to check....
- On the WAN page, make sure DHCP query frequency is set to normal
- Could also be that you may have a second client acting as DHCP server on your network
- Could also be that you have two clients with the same name (set at the client) that's confusing the DHCP renewal

DHCP i have set to normal
DHCP assignment on the modem is turned off
i had actually both 2.4ghz and 5ghz i have now changed names, ill set the DHCP lease to 24 hours and see if this problem persists tomorrow if it does be sure to watch my next youtube video"asus meets hammer"

Is your access point hard wired to the router, or are you using a bridge?

its in repeater mode, so wireless i know its not optimal but the geomatry of the house does not allow me to drill holls in the ceiling for a cable

i had actually both 2.4ghz and 5ghz i have now changed names, ill set the DHCP lease to 24 hours and see if this problem persists tomorrow if it does be sure to watch my next youtube video"asus meets hammer"
I actually wasn't speaking about the SSIDs, but the clients. For example, if you have two identical NAS boxes, both will come from the vendor with the same system/computer name....you would need to change one of them.

The two clients vying for the same address comment got me thinking. I have an access point connected to a repeater. Everything behind the repeater gets its MAC address modified when relayed back to the main network, which means that if a device moves from being connected to the access point to being connected directly to the wireless router, it will appear to the main router as if two different MACS are vying for the same IP. To test this theory, I have removed the settings for the main router wireless from units connected to the access point. So far no failure.

The two clients vying for the same address comment got me thinking. I have an access point connected to a repeater. Everything behind the repeater gets its MAC address modified when relayed back to the main network, which means that if a device moves from being connected to the access point to being connected directly to the wireless router, it will appear to the main router as if two different MACS are vying for the same IP. To test this theory, I have removed the settings for the main router wireless from units connected to the access point. So far no failure.

wow , how did you do the settings i don't understand that part, i still get failures the really wierd thing is somethimes whenever i connect my PS4 the network freaks out and i get the ip adress has updated on the router, the repeater still works fine no strange error message's in system log

I actually wasn't speaking about the SSIDs, but the clients. For example, if you have two identical NAS boxes, both will come from the vendor with the same system/computer name....you would need to change one of them.

i don't use a NAS.

i did not have problems until now its randomly restarting, not even with a DHCP lease it will show a page where it has updated it settings. what settings? i have no clue because it does not show up.

i am touching in the dark here...

maybe not so dark anymore, still super random and i cannot pinpoint the problem

Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:37 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:37 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:40 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:40 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)

this is what it does after "updated its settings" is this what the router does every 5/30 minutes giving out new DHCP's to connected clients?

deleted all the IP's

maybe not so dark anymore, still super random and i cannot pinpoint the problem

Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:37 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:37 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 21 02:38:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[313]: DHCPOFFER(br0)

this is what it does after "updated its settings" is this what the router does every 5/30 minutes giving out new DHCP's to connected clients?

deleted all the IP's
The IP addresses are local, so no point in hiding them, but by hiding them I can't see if it is one machine or many getting renewed.
Do you perhaps have some Apple devices?

The IP addresses are local, so no point in hiding them, but by hiding them I can't see if it is one machine or many getting renewed.
Do you perhaps have some Apple devices?

this is correct i have some apple devices (3 ipads 4 iphones macbook pro)

this is correct i have some apple devices (3 ipads 4 iphones macbook pro)
The more recent Apple devices, iPad Air 2 for example, is trying to renew DHCP frequently, every 3:rd minute for me, others experience the same behaviour too.

i still have not resolved this issue, it is really weird i try'd manual assigning of the DHCP no dice still restarting with the router NOT THE BRIDGE i still get the message:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC66U.
To access the settings of RT-AC66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

using Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.43_2-14E1j9527 (merlin fork)

the only wierd thing i see in the logs =
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Nov 8 16:07:47 nmbd[354]: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP.
Nov 8 16:07:47 nmbd[354]: Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup

overall i don't see a message in my router why it was offline for a sudden, i am out of options now and i don't know how i proceed after this.

FYI, It looks like I was able to fix the "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name xxxx<1b>" issue on my router by forcing Samba to be the Master Browser through the UI. Look for the option under "USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk"

FYI, It looks like I was able to fix the "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name xxxx<1b>" issue on my router by forcing Samba to be the Master Browser through the UI. Look for the option under "USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk"

thanks this was annoying as hell so i turned it off

i am only getting system log messages now whenever there is a DHCP renew/assign

still getting the message where the router just blatantly says it has updated it settings what settings you say? i have no clue perhaps a DHCP renew perhaps a bug in the software i really cannot tell

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!