What's new

3.0.0.4.260 official to 3.0.0.4.246 merlin do i hav to clear NVRAM?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigup

Occasional Visitor
currently using 3.0.0.4.260 official and want to try 3.0.0.4.246 merlin

i plan to do this remotely (logmein) so need to do know i have to clear NVRAM for this downgrade?

ive done 3.0.0.4.260 official to 3.0.0.4.260 merlin remotely and it worked but wasn't to sure about downgrading to custom firmware

thanks

No need to clear your settings, unless you already had invalid settings in your nvram to begin with.

Ok, so I am brand new to this and I have been reading about different custom firmwares. I am going to try this one out on my RT-N66U. My question is do you need to do anything special to flash this (like DD-WRT or Tomato) or is it just like upgrading the official ones?

Flashes just like a regular firmware. The only specific cases where you have to additionally reset your settings to factory defaults are:

- If running an RT-N16 with a firmware version lower than 3.x
- If running an RT-N66U with a firmware version lower than 3.0.0.4.220 (unless already running Asuswrt-Merlin)

In both these cases, you should reset to factory defaults before, and after flashing.

But in all cases, you can flash directly through the web interface like a regular Asus firmware.

Flashes just like a regular firmware. The only specific cases where you have to additionally reset your settings to factory defaults are:

- If running an RT-N66U with a firmware version lower than 3.0.0.4.220 (unless already running Asuswrt-Merlin)

In both these cases, you should reset to factory defaults before, and after flashing.

In my case, I dont remember which firmware came with my 66u, but I did do a upgrade to 3.0.0.4.260 (Asus) no reset. I then flash to 3.0.0.4.246.20 (Merlin) again without factory reset. Should I have done a factory reset after flashing to 246.20? Everything is fine, but last night my ipad (5 Ghz) web pages took a long time to load, I eventually had to reboot the tablet to resolve it.

Nvram clearing shouldn't be required in this case.