What's new

3 Gigabit ports & bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Luke Ferrari

New Around Here
Hi!

I'm looking to setup a home network with a number of PLAs around the house. Is there a limit to the babdwidth in the house and therefore, will adding more than 1 pair significantly reduce the speed of the others?

Separately, would a 3-port PLA such as the TP-LINK 8030P limit the bandwidth to each device going into each of the 3 ports, so that I would be better off having separate single-port PLAs in 3 different sockets?

Thanks,
Luke

lol i had no idea what you where talking about initially as we usually call them powerline or eop but i worked it out in the end

its a difficult question to answer but yes running separate pairs of eop devices with their own private network names and passwords is possible but really does stat to effect performance

yes the TP-LINK 8030P can provide 3 ethernet ports at its second end but they share the bandwidth of the single unit at the primary end

so that I would be better off having separate single-port PLAs in 3 different sockets?

think of it this way would you ever actually use more than 1 device at a time , usually the answer is no so the TP-LINK 8030P should be find for that need

if for some strange reason you would use more than 1 device downloading and or streaming at that location then yes they would share the bandwidth

i assume for your own reasons ethernet installation isnt possible

Thanks for that Pete & sorry for the confusion... Yes, EOP does make sense.

Cabling to the second floor is a definite no & the the back of the house in the extension would be difficult too, hence the question.

So, to clarify, the limitation in bandwidth comes from my router end as opposed to any limitation imposed by the power sockets/EOPs themselves?

Also, the 2nd floor office will ultimately have the network printer, iMac & XBOX, all of which I'd prefer to have wired than wireless, hence the 8030Ps. The extension will have second wireless AP to extend into the garden (was thinking of reusing my Sky SR102... Gotta be used for something).

Cheers,
Luke

So, to clarify, the limitation in bandwidth comes from my router end

correct as its bandwidth is shared between the clients and secondary eop adapters

the new 2000M eop adapters have however plenty of bandwidth if your house can deal with its wiring config for the eop devices

Thanks Pete.

I think I'll try the 8030Ps in the the office because as you suggest, it would be a very rare occasion that I would be simultaneously using all those wired items in the office at once, but this way I can keep them attached. For simplicity, I'll use the 8010P for the wireless AP in the extension.

Cheers,
Luke

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!