What's new

380.61 ac66u 5ghz issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jazztrump9

Occasional Visitor
Is anyone experiencing issues with the 5ghz radio on the 380.61 build?

I was having periodic rebooting on the 380.58 build and the 380.59 build made my router unusuable, i had to downgrade back to 380.58 because the web interface became super slow and the router wasn't acting right.

I flashed to 380.61 and now it will work absolutely great for 3 or 4 days and then my 5ghz radio seems to just crap out. It will keep broadcasting but all of a sudden my devices will disconnect and if i reconnect i will get tons of packet loss and almost not throughput. Usually i get 170mbps over my wan but it will drop below 5. The 2.4ghz radio remains unaffected.

When I tried to disable the 5ghz radio and re-enable it the router rebooted and wouldn't come back up until i unplugged it and let it boot up normally.

Has anyone experienced this and knows of a fix?

Did you try the simple debugging workflow?
1. Factory reset
2. Manual reconfiguration (minimal - no change in Wireless Professional!)
3. Test!

Did you try the simple debugging workflow?
1. Factory reset
2. Manual reconfiguration (minimal - no change in Wireless Professional!)
3. Test!

With an avatar like that i feel inclined to trust your wisdom.

I havent tried factory resetting it. I've just upgraded the firmware everytime. I suppose its possible it needs to be wiped clean.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

You may not need all the above steps, but it will give you a good start to make sure the router is in a good known state before you try to debug random bugs and glitches that a full reset would get rid of, permanently.

Thank you!

I took the advice and I backed up my current config. I reset my router to factory and reloaded the config and so far its been ok for about 5 days. I'm going to monitor and I'll post and update.

I spoke too soon.

Last night i was using skype for business to do a video conference, everything was great for about an hour and 15 minutes than all of a sudden the 5ghz radio start dropping packets like crazy and my speed went way down.

I rebooted the router through the webui but the issue persisted until i power cycled it. Once it came back up after being unplugged it was fine. The last time I tried to do video conferencing it did the same thing oddly enough.

I spoke too soon.

Last night i was using skype for business to do a video conference, everything was great for about an hour and 15 minutes than all of a sudden the 5ghz radio start dropping packets like crazy and my speed went way down.

I rebooted the router through the webui but the issue persisted until i power cycled it. Once it came back up after being unplugged it was fine. The last time I tried to do video conferencing it did the same thing oddly enough.

Using any wireless headset?

I know that the usb adapter for wireless mouse is randomly knocking out wifi on one my laptops. Something has to interfering with the wifi though, I have friend that cant use 2ghz range on property cause some thing is randomly kill the connection. and i know it was something interfering with 2ghz range cause I took my own router which 2ghz and 5ghz both work fine at my house and at there 2ghz is pretty much useless and only 5ghz works. I was also never able to fiqure what was causing it.

there is reason why i dont use wireless for any of personal devices. both 2ghz and 5 ghz on my end on 380.61 are working fine.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i was able to finally get my router stable. I'll keep you guys posted. Its been up for 5 days now.

Previously, I factory reset it and then restored the config from backup. Its been stable since I did the following:

Factory reset
Reflash,
factory reset

Manually reconfigure.

Previously I had also set the 5ghz to channel 149 because I had the best range in the apartment on it, however, since I have left it on auto this time around im noticing there is maybe 1 dead spot in the house but the wifi has been solid.

I had an odd problem a little while ago, where I completely lost wan connectivity over IPv4 but ipv6 (which i have set to native through comcast) kept working fine as i was in a skype for business video call and I have direct access setup (for vpn)which uses ipv6. The video/call never died but i was unable to ping anything with ipv4 and was unable to browse the web. I did have to reset it to fix it, but the router appears to be way more stable except for that, which is probably a rare circumstance as im sure 90% of the people out there probably dont actually utilize the ipv6.

I have problem with 5 GHz on RT-AC66U too. But I use it on Repeater mode. Main router is RT-AC87U. It drop and restart every 10-15 minutes.

I'm not sure it fail because of Quantenna 5 GHz fw on RT-AC87U. Or firmware base on RT-AC66U. I'm got this problem early Merlin.59 . I try use Official fw but not correct it.

After further testing im still having issues with 5ghz drops and random reboots. The router seems to work for at most 5days. Generally by day 5 or 6 it either reboots without warning or the 5ghz drops.

I'm not sure what else to do, im getting pretty fed up. I even updated to the newest merlin that was recently and its still doing it.

The logs from the webui dont tell me anything.

If i ssh in are there more detailed logs that might tell me why its doing this? I've had the router for almost 2 years and the problem still eludes me.

Thank you!

I took the advice and I backed up my current config. I reset my router to factory and reloaded the config and so far its been ok for about 5 days. I'm going to monitor and I'll post and update.

What you did was effectively a net zero by reloading the backup config file. :(

Re-do the steps outlined in post 4 and pay particular attention to doing a minimal and manual configuration. :)