What's new

382 firmware preparation period

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Odkrys

382 Firmware larger than existing firmware. (GT-AC5300 - 60MB, RT-AC86U - 54MB)

There seems to be a lot of source code changes.

When new firmware for a supported model is released, how long does it take for Merlin firmware to come out?

That might be a while.
Asus needs to release the 382 code for all Merlin supported router models first.
Otherwise he has to maintain two branches which is very time consuming.

rt-ac88u 382.1xxxx size:42.6MB
20170627180105149855766540122.jpg

That might be a while.
Asus needs to release the 382 code for all Merlin supported router models first.
Otherwise he has to maintain two branches which is very time consuming.

That's right. IMO, firmware support will be dropped for some models after releasing 382 branch.

rt-ac88u 382.1xxxx size:42.6MB
20170627180105149855766540122.jpg

Are there new features in 382 brance except guest wifi bandwidth limiting?

For instance. AiProtection 2.0?

Edit : Two-way IPS included in 382 branch. I just checked now, http://www.asussmart.com/smart/675.html
Snort and Suricata are very heavy programs and I do not know how powerful Asus's one as router level.

Last edited:
That's right. IMO, firmware support will be dropped for some models after releasing 382 branch.

Are there new features in 382 brance except guest wifi bandwidth limiting?

For instance. AiProtection 2.0?

Edit : Two-way IPS included in 382 branch. I just checked now, http://www.asussmart.com/smart/675.html
Snort and Suricata are very heavy programs and I do not know how powerful Asus's one as router level.
Currently, the RT-AC88U 382.1XXXX firmware and RT-AC86U functionality are basically the same

When new firmware for a supported model is released, how long does it take for Merlin firmware to come out?

Impossible to tell at this time, because 382 is a major change, and Asus are still making more changes to it.

For now, I cannot even confirm whether or not I'll be able to switch to 382.

So what possible changes could be brought from the new code base, I'm hoping emphasis on hoping the finally give us fq-codel in adaptive qos. But besides my wishful thinking, are there any possible benefits to be gained or just more closed source components?

RT-AC88U 382 firmware kernel version 2.6.36

I thonk the better question is when, and will asus switch the devices to 382 and also which devices will lose support.

Is there some news about the 382.1xxxx firmware?

None, beside what I last said that a merge of the 382 codebase is getting increasingly unlikely as Asus keeps delaying any release for the existing models, increases the amount of closed source code, and isn't answering my requests for a beta GPL drop so I could at least begin to merge things in.

look at merlins new alpha.

That was just one specific feature that was backported by Asus to the 380 codebase for the BRT, and which I integreated.

seens like an arm only firmware.
I've been expecting the day to come for a while, but thankfully the day still has yet to come.