What's new

.55 fw and port 80 forwarding and dropping wifi question.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

Hi all

It seems my 68R is dropping wifi connections. I'm wondering as I heart that port 80 is used internally and shouldn't used for anythings else. I have WHS2011 and I have setup port forwarding for port 80 and 443 so I can access WHS outside.

Am I doing it wrong?

Could you share some more details? If you've forwarded port 80 from the 68R to the WHS2011 then you likely wouldn't be able to access the 68R via HTTP any longer unless you setup HTTPS on the router. Is this the case?

So How do I setup WHS than? I have to forward both http(80) and https(443) port to make WHS work. MS gives you a subdomain at homeserver.com to use. I use DDNS on the router configure it. I also have to use port forwarding because UPnP does not work below port 1000 on .55(I believe).

Switch the webui to HTTPS only, and use the default 8443 port for it. That will free up both 80 and 443.

@RMerlin

Do you know how is it different compare to Netgear fw(like in R7000)? Does it work differently on Netgear? I have no issue with R7000.

Thanks

@RMerlin

Do you know how is it different compare to Netgear fw(like in R7000)? Does it work differently on Netgear? I have no issue with R7000.

Thanks

I don't know how Netgear's webserver binds to the interfaces, they don't provide the source code for it.

If you port forward external requests to the router for port 80/443 then asuswrt firmware hogging internal use of port 80 should not be an issue. This should only be a problem running services on the router itself. Connecting from the LAN to the external IP/ddns name is subject to the "WAN IP local nat loopback" function for which there are selectable options in web interface since it seems some options preferred by different users.

I think when I was using dd-wrt I had setup nat loopback. What you are saying I should look into doing the same with Merlin's fw?

I think when I was using dd-wrt I had setup nat loopback. What you are saying I should look into doing the same with Merlin's fw?

You can't lose anything by trying it. It's easy enough to try the options and revert back if you're not happy. As I remember it, there is an option for Merlin and one for Asus loopback. Most people seem to find the Asus one works best. I don't know if you have to reboot the router after applying the new setting, but it costs nothing to do so. And you can then be sure, if it doesn't work, it's not because you should have rebooted.

The dropped wifi connections - any closer to solving that?

You can't lose anything by trying it. It's easy enough to try the options and revert back if you're not happy. As I remember it, there is an option for Merlin and one for Asus loopback. Most people seem to find the Asus one works best. I don't know if you have to reboot the router after applying the new setting, but it costs nothing to do so. And you can then be sure, if it doesn't work, it's not because you should have rebooted.

The dropped wifi connections - any closer to solving that?

No. I will be trying John's fw and Merlin's .54_2 soon.

Have you checked to see if there is interference from other transmissions on close frequencies? It might be worth a quick check before going to the trouble of trying other firmware.

One excellent program that you could use is InSSider. InSSider 3, the last free version is still available for download. However, given the tendency to attach all sorts of crap to free downloads nowadays, I'm reluctant to press the case. Check it with a anti-virus and anti-spyware programs if you do download.

Instead, you could perhaps use the tool in Merlin's firmware: under Advanced Settings on the GUI (halfway down the left-hand column), click on Wireless, then Site Survey (end tab on the right). Look at the visible networks (those are in addition to the one's you are broadcasting on), check the channels and compare to the one's you are broadcasting and change yours if necessary. That said, my Control Channel is set to Auto, so I'm guessing my router actively prevents interference - and that would seem to be confirmed when I run InSSider.

Worth double checking?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!