What's new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I recommend using a USB WiFi adapter - because the antennas for these PCIe/PCI cards wind up buried behind furniture, etc., in an RF-disadvantaged situation.

PCI wireless cards are a dying breed. Bad place to put a wireless antenna.

Better approach is a USB wireless adapter or a wireless Ethernet bridge. The first connects via USB cable and the second via Ethernet. They give you a lot more options for adapter placement to get a better signal.

Maybe its just me and my past experiences but I still prefer to use a PCI/PCIe card with an Intel adapter than a USB solution. With most USB solutions you are forced to use the vendors drivers and some/most don't do a good job of keeping up to date.

I would say to use the above listed PCIe card with the 6205/6300 adapter and if you need to remote mount the antennas get yourself 2 or 3 1M extension cables with RP-SMA plugs (male/female). This way you can use the Intel reference drivers while locating your antennas above the desktop case.

Tim's recommendation to use a Bridge is also good, but I've yet to see a bridge with Intel radios. If you can find Atheros that is my second choice, but again you are stuck with vendor firmware which is often sketchy.

PCI wireless cards are a dying breed. Bad place to put a wireless antenna.

Better approach is a USB wireless adapter or a wireless Ethernet bridge. The first connects via USB cable and the second via Ethernet. They give you a lot more options for adapter placement to get a better signal.

Speaking of Ethernet Bridges. Are there any that do simultaneous 5/2.4Ghz?

Speaking of Ethernet Bridges. Are there any that do simultaneous 5/2.4Ghz?
No. That would require both two radios and a link bonding / aggregation method that doesn't exist.

You will find Intel wireless chipsets only in their own PCIe card adapters, not in USB adapters or wireless bridges.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!