What's new

5Ghz N speed varies between 100mbps and 200+ mbps throughout the day?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
There's only a couple other 5ghz clients but they're not active when testing. No interference and I've tried other channels. I'm currently using 40mhz, N-only. The router is a RT-N66U and I'm testing this via a Windows Explorer file transfer. The NIC is a Intel 6235 2x2 in a Samsung laptop. The router is sitting on top of a speaker, but it's magnetically shielded (I didn't see a difference when moving it off the speaker).

This morning I was consistently getting 200+mbps easily. Now, I can't seem to get past 130-mbps with the laptop sitting in the same location. I'm a couple walls between myself and the router, but I'm actually only about 20 feet from it.

What factors could cause this fluctuation? Thanks.

Have you tried setting it to auto instead of N only ?

If you see the same problem with other clients, could be the router power supply or radio dying.

How do you know there is no interference? Cordless phones can tromp on the 5 GHz band.