What's new

5GHz-2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Akki

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

I just added RT-AC68U as a node to AC5300 and as i understand 5GHz-2 (2nd 5gz band) is used for AiMesh.

Is there a way to dedicate 1st one to AiMesh?

Reason im asking is, i have noticed that 2nd band uses higher channels (153 in my example) and channel 153, in my case/environment has strongest signal and i would really like to keep this one dedicated for myself.

Not sure if what im asking make sence to you gurus so please if needed i can try to explain or provide more details :p

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly not
I also wish you could select lower channels as backhaul.
EU laws restrict power output to 200mW on the lower bands whereas the higher allow up to 1000mW, hence the difference you see.

I guess it makes sense to use the higher ones for backhaul a as it means you can allow for more distance between routers, and as the mesh implicitly reduces the average distance from a client to its serving AP they should be OK with the lower channels.

For me I have Ethernet backhaul so the fact I can’t use 5Ghz-2 at all really annoys me! (And before anyone attempts to correct that, my main router is dual band so not possible to disable DWB on tri band nodes - yet at least!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the max watts for Canada, it’s slightly different to EU, mainly in that the very lowest channels can potentially be used at higher power, but as I understand it many routers limit to 200mW anyway due to the noted restriction for outdoor use.

https://www.semfionetworks.com/blog/5ghz-regulations-in-canada-2018-update#

I’m assuming it ties up with what you see for signal strength?

Question - if i change backhaul to wired now as i have ability - will 5Gz-2 free up completely?

Question - if i change backhaul to wired now as i have ability - will 5Gz-2 free up completely?

Only if you use the Asus mobile app to configure the wireless settings to disable DWB.

JDB, i assume you are talking about this:
ApplicationFrameHost_2020-06-05_14-05-26.png

But once i successfully make connection with cable?

Yep!

Also, in the main web UI you can select wired backhaul rather than Auto on the node to ensure it doesn’t try and use Wi-fi.

Interesting, once i disable DWB, i cannot click Apply on top right - simply its not available to be pressed :/ Any suggestions?

I did read they messed up the logic relating to how it interacts with the Hide SSID toggle. Try playing with that?

I think also Smart Connect must be disabled to allow use of the DWB toggle.

Thanks, - i never had Smart Connect Enabled :/ Tried again just now, cannot get DWB disabled

Dunno then!
Maybe raise it with Asus and see what they say.
The whole enforced DWB is annoying A LOT of users so the more support tickets opened the better!

Thanks alot JDB for all support and trying to help!
Looks like another ticket is going their way!

Reactions: JDB