What's new

5TB drive prices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'll be watching it. I have everything last drop backed up to the 5TB USB3 drive now though (and I have done some short drive tests on it and they check out fine)

There's just something odd with that statement that doesn't give a lot of comfort on the integrity of the data on that drive... considering your experiences with the drive dropping out multiple times during the copy...

sfx

I've done a few data integrity tests and drive tests and they've all turned out fine.

Since I switched to the intel ports as well as update my intel chipset drivers, no issues. Then again, I don't think I've done any writes over about 300GB in size or reads over about 400GB. All have gone fine with no disconnects. So it could be the Asmedia drivers/ports.

It saved my bacon as I swapped in drives and built my RAID0 Arrays in both machines, I had completely forgotten to copy over a directory from my server to my desktop when I built the desktop array first, so neither machines got the directory.

I had backed it up to the Seagate USB3 drive though. So all is well and now mirrored to the machines.

There is a difference between Seagate Backup Plus and Seagate Expansion Drives (and now the new line of Seagate Drives) in terms of disconnects. For the 5TB Seagate external drive enclosures, I find that the enclosures with the Blue bottoms have the most problems with disconnects when transferring large amounts of data (>100GB per session). Those happen to be Seagate Backup Plus drives with the longer 2 year warranty. I never had any problems with Seagate enclosures that used 4TB HDDs. I did experience a 50% failure rate (4 out of 8 enclosures failed within 6 months of intermittent use) with Samsung D3 4TB HDD enclosures that used Seagate HDD's.

I have a lot of data. I also have many Seagate HDD's along with some Hitachi, WD, and Toshiba HDD's. Other than the Samsung 4TB D3 drive enclosures I have only had drive failures with one (out of 5) Seagate Hybrid SSD/HDD in 4TB size and that one was DOA. I never had any problem with the Samsung D3's using Seagate 7200 rpm 3TB HDD's. Just the ones with 4TB HDD's. Those Samsung D3's are the least expensive 4TB drive enclosures out there but they are also built the cheapest with the smallest metal heatsink I have ever seen. Due to the phenomenally high failure rate, I will never buy another Samsung Drive/enclosure again.

I have tried different USB ports in different servers using USB 3.0 cards from Intel, StarTech (Rensesas drivers), and Syba (using Asmedia drivers) along with the ones on the Lenovo ThinkServers I have (pretty sure they use Intel drivers but that doesn't mean they are Intel). I can't really say that I have noticed a difference in number of disconnects if they are on the same SATA III bus speed.

Now that I think about it more, I have experienced no problems with disconnects when doing complete HDD backups of 3+TB of data on the servers and desktops that have SATA II or SATA I busses. The transfer rate is slower but maybe that generates less heat and hence the HDD drive enclosure electronics are less prone to hiccup and disconnect. Those Seagate 5TB external drives function flawlessly with no disconnects on servers and PC's using SATA II or SATA I busses... Gotta be a design flaw with the enclosure electronics.

Is it fate that the odd numbered TB capacity drives, excluding 1TB, are maybe unreliable? Like the infamous 3TB from Seagate?

I dunno...

I think Seagate got bit pretty hard on a firmware bug that caused head crashes over time, but this could have been at any capacity, just happened to be at 3TB with a drive that was very competitively priced... dumb luck maybe - again, it's something that didn't fail during DVT, but over time.. and time, while folks try to simulate it during testing, it's not quite the same.

Much like the Takata Air Bag problem - where again, it was over time, years later...

yeah, but it looks like Takata had a near-monopoly!

You can't lab-test as an alternative to avoiding bad engineering design. Some QA people think you can.

Example: I had a hatchback VW vehicle with one of the early fuel injection controllers. Analog, I think. When I keyed my ham radio, the engine died (lack of fuel). When a police car next to me at a light keyed his, engine died.

yeah, but it looks like Takata had a near-monopoly!

You can't lab-test as an alternative to avoiding bad engineering design. Some QA people think you can.

I don't know if it's bad or good - hard call to make...

Takata wasn't the biggest player in the AirBag biz - but they had a different way of inflating the bags with a unique formulation for the material - just that the material degraded over time...

8 lives have been lost due to Takata airbag inflators going off in an uncontrolled manner... but now we're seeing millions being recalled - and nobody has mentioned how many lives were saved by those airbags going off correctly...

oh well...

8 lives have been lost due to Takata airbag inflators going off in an uncontrolled manner... but now we're seeing millions being recalled - and nobody has mentioned how many lives were saved by those airbags going off correctly...
Airline pilots say... you're only as good as your last flight.

Past 3 years I've been buying my drives used from ebay. Seller says smart report is good, if not they go back.

One had errors, still in warranty so I rma'd for a replacement been spinning for a couple years no problem.

Airline pilots say... you're only as good as your last flight.

Any landing -- it's a good landing, smooth or bumpy...

FWIW - many pilots are either Air Force or Navy/Marines - zoomies like the smooth landing as a sign of being professional, and I agree with them...

Aviators like to know when their wheels on the deck, so when flying into SAN, it's reassuring that we're home...

I'd rather be on a flight with an Aviator to be honest - something about learning how to land sideways at 30 knots...

Yeah, a good friend is ex-Navy fighter pilot. Then Continental for decades, 747's. He has some stories.
I once toured the USS Midway museum ship with him. He walked on the flight deck where all the aircraft are displayed and for several, he would say "I flew that a lot".
He survived two pilot ejections.
He now lives in Seattle, alongside a grass runway where he flies his antique.

I dunno...

I think Seagate got bit pretty hard on a firmware bug that caused head crashes over time, but this could have been at any capacity, just happened to be at 3TB with a drive that was very competitively priced... dumb luck maybe - again, it's something that didn't fail during DVT, but over time.. and time, while folks try to simulate it during testing, it's not quite the same.

Much like the Takata Air Bag problem - where again, it was over time, years later...

Well, I think part of the issues in both cases are that some things you cannot simulate in testing.

You can attempt to "advance age" things. For example, doing constant load/unload testing on a drive. Doing others with constant writes. Others constant reads. Do max IOPS, etc. and hammer on the test drives for months, see how many failures you get, do the math and say what the MTBF is going to be, package it up and sell the drives. Possibly with some design or firmware tweaking in there if you find real issues. However, that isn't necessarily the same thing as actually RUNNING the drives 24x7x365 for a year, or two or three. Realistically there is only so long you can test something before you have to crap or get off the pot.

Just like the software validation testing I used to be involved in. We had a team of about a dozen folks putting in a lot of hours testing our stuff. We racked up on average about 5-6 work years worth of validation work on our applications before we'd open it to the public (web applications). Well, 5-6 work years is NOTHING compared to 300,000-400,000 USERS hitting the system for 1-4hrs per session, times on average about 4 sessions per year. By my math that makes our user base hitting our applications with about 300x more use than we possibly can, as well as thinking up test "scenarios" we couldn't possibly either accommodate or even THINK of (it isn't like it is a single basic HTML form for testing, it is 30+ page applications).

Stuff was found in production ALWAYS. Fortunately it was generally things like a minor typo, or very minor display issue or something that we could correct at our leisure. Of course every once in awhile we found something that necessitated an emergency release and then running through the DB to correct an error because a code wasn't being propagated to the DB correctly.

Same thing with the airbag issue. You can run testing for months, but it doesn't matter if you run the tests with constant vibration and heat attempting to simulate advanced aging. There is no method I know of that can PERFECTLY simulate what happens when an air bag is actually installed in a vehicle and then 10+ years later it activates.

It is a shame and terrible and of course the issue needs to be fixed, but crap happens.

Also, are you sure those drives are SMR? I am 99% sure that is the exact model of Seagate drive I got and it is PMR, not SMR (it could be a different model of Seagate 5TB drive, I don't remember off hand for sure which one I do have).

Also, are you sure those drives are SMR? I am 99% sure that is the exact model of Seagate drive I got and it is PMR, not SMR (it could be a different model of Seagate 5TB drive, I don't remember off hand for sure which one I do have).

Seagate has both SMR and PMR in the 5TB's - depends on application and model number - the one at Costco is the "backup plus", which consensus on StorageReview is that it's SMR - the Seagate Expansion is PMR...

I'm not planning to crack the case open to see first hand...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!