What's new

6 minute exceedingly long time to come to ready?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

e38BimmerFN

Very Senior Member
So I got a semi new AC5300 from Amazon which arrived yesterday.
I spent about two hours before the router settled in and after only changing the routers IP address, setting IP reservations and enabling Traditional QoS and turning OFF the WiFi radios, I noticed that when either power cycling the router, changing the routers IP address or enabling QoS and applying, the router seems to take about 6 minutes before it comes back and I can get UI access again. I see the please wait while changed are applied and after it reaches 100% the message goes away which takes about 1:30. Then I see the Power LED and Internet LED come on. Then the Internet LED goes OFF, then back on, then the power LED goes off then back on then the internet LED goes back off entirely. Like the router is rebooting on its own 2 or 3 times. Then after about 6 minutes the Internet LED comes on RED. I have to log into the UI and select DISCONNECTED under the WAN status section as it reports its disconnected. Once I do that, the Internet LED turns White.
Is this normal behavior or maybe I have a dud?
Ya already swapped cables and power cycled the ISP modem two times thinking there was and issue there. I see the long wait time even with out any thing connected to the router as well.

I'm new to ASUS routers and have worked with other router Mfrs and I don't see this there.

After waiting for the router to come to ready and not making any more changes, the router seem to work ok.
I'll be checking out Merlin FW this evening to see if this changes this behavior I'm seeing.

Semi new? Return it.

Yes latest FW. I was thinking maybe a factory reset, reload FW, then reset then set up from scratch.

Traditional QOS is currently broken. According to RMerlin there is no indication yet from Asus when it might be fixed.

Can DNS Relay be disabled at all?

RM also mentioned disabling DHCP WAN aggressive mode. I'll check this out as well.

Thank you I'll check it out. Still getting to know the UI. :rolleyes:

Can DNS Relay be disabled at all?

RM also mentioned disabling DHCP WAN aggressive mode. I'll check this out as well.

Please don't double-post questions. It only confuses everyone.

I usually don't. However wast sure of response and wanted visibility regarding it. Thanks

I don't see any Disable DNS Relay option on the UI under LAN-DHCP Server. There is a empty box to input a DNS address.

Yes, it's on the LAN > DHCP Server page.

Ok, I changed Aggressive Mode to Normal mode for DHCP query frequency. Seem to shave off about 3 minutes before the router finally came to a partial ready. I got LAN access LED then. However Internet LED remained RED. I selected Disconnect and it started the Detect Connection. This time the detection took about 1-2 minutes before it got the WAN IP and set it up and a white LED. Before it would only take a couple of seconds. I'm back online now. Still not seamlessly booting to a full ready and have to intervene to get Internet going.

Should I try Merlin FW?

Please read the responses before you post. RM told me about this once. I don't need to be reminded. I do know how forums work and understand when people post and response time. I am patient. I'm keeping on topic and posting my current experiences as a running log of what I'm seeing.

Thank you.

Please don't cross post... it's not that people miss it, they might not have the answer just yet...

I don't see any Disable DNS Relay option on the UI under LAN-DHCP Server. There is a empty box to input a DNS address.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you're asking for, but...

If you leave the "DNS Server" box empty it is the same as putting the routers IP address in there, i.e. 192.168.1.1. Therefore DHCP clients will get that address as their DNS server. The router is the DNS relay.

If you put 8.8.8.8 in that box DHCP clients will get 8.8.8.8 as their DNS server address.

Either way, the router itself uses whatever DNS servers are defined at WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting

Still not seamlessly booting to a full ready and have to intervene to get Internet going.

Since you are on cable, you might need to have your connection get completely reset on the ISP's side to properly handle the change in router (this is very common with cable, where they keep track of which MAC is doing a DHCP request). Unplug the power from your modem for about 10 minutes, then plug it back in, and try again.

Ok, so here was has transpired after loading Merlin. There has been some behavior changes. I can change UI menu items in the UI and hit apply. The please wait message goes by fast, I say less than 10 seconds. I went thru making changes in the UI and got the router set up for what I wanted. Seemed to work well. However I held off doing a REBOOT. As I noticed that after doing changes in the UI didn't reboot the router like before. I set Aggressive to Normal for WAN DHCP queries. After making changes and got it all set up. I decided to do the full reboot. I started my stopwatch and let it go. 6 minutes later LAN and Internet LEDs finally came back and Internet was RED. I logged into the UI and selected the Setup Wizard. This time the wizard said to power off the ISP Modem. I did for 1 minute then back on. Then continued. Shortly there after the Internet went White. I presume doing a full REBOOT, the router should come to ready and internet should be connected...

I haven't done another full reboot to see if the same thing happens. Will try tomorrow.

I found how DNS relay works at least on Merlin, ya I disabled it however didn't use any specified DNS addresses I thought maybe the router would use what it detected from the ISP. I just selected NO. Some other router Mfrs do this automatically. It doesn't on Merlin, so once I specified DNS addresses, BOOM, specified DNS showed on my clients instead of 192.168.0.1.

RM, I don't believe that Cableone tracks router MAC addresses, only the ISP Modems MAC, as I more than often change routers during my testing and I don't see any kind of behavior like this with any other router with this ISP service and Modem when changing out routers. One thing I do enjoy with my ISP.
While trying to set this 5300 up last night, I had to put the old router back online to get internet while I figured things out and was online in 1 minute. I have several different Mfr routers to choose from for testing.

What is the reboot time for those of you with 5300's when you select reboot with OEM or Merlin FW? I presume 6 minutes is not good and i may have a bad unit?

I'll do more testing and gaming this weekend.

Thank you.

I have one, its my 3rd one, the first two I updated to the latest firmware and with in a week of one another they went back, I looked into it after the 2nd and found SNB, on my third I did not update to the latest firmware I went straight to Merlin's, 4 weeks later still got it, but yes they do take along time rebooting, I almost always hold my breath while doing it, especially after the first 2 5300.

Regards

RM, I don't believe that Cableone tracks router MAC addresses, only the ISP Modems MAC, as I more than often change routers during my testing and I don't see any kind of behavior like this with any other router with this ISP service and Modem when changing out routers. One thing I do enjoy with my ISP.

I would still give it a try. Otherwise, it would mean that your ISP's DHCP server would allow you to obtain multiple DHCP leases, which would be quite unusual.

To know more about what is taking so long, you will have to look at the system log, and check the timestamps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!