What's new

802.11k/r roaming support for consumer-grade AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quadwan

Occasional Visitor
I'd like to buy a dual-band router as an access point sharing the same SSIDs as a TP-Link Archer C5, but want to make sure that 802.11k/r roaming is available for dynamic rehoming based on the strongest RSSI. Would I be best off buying another C5 and enabling WDS bridging, buying another C5 and switching to DD-WRT firmware, or buying a router known for good 802.11k/r hand-offs?

If the C5 has those features and you're happy with the performance, why would you want to go into troubleshooting mode for any other model? :)

If the C5 has those features and you're happy with the performance, why would you want to go into troubleshooting mode for any other model? :)
I'm not sure if the C5's QCA9558 chipset supports fast BSS transition, actually - wanted to see if anyone on the forum knew or could recommend an alternative that is cheaper than Aruba or Ruckus gear.

I'm not sure if the C5's QCA9558 chipset supports fast BSS transition, actually - wanted to see if anyone on the forum knew or could recommend an alternative that is cheaper than Aruba or Ruckus gear.

In that case, I'm pretty sure the answer will be 'no'. But hope to be proven wrong by others.

I'd like to buy a dual-band router as an access point sharing the same SSIDs as a TP-Link Archer C5, but want to make sure that 802.11k/r roaming is available for dynamic rehoming based on the strongest RSSI. Would I be best off buying another C5 and enabling WDS bridging, buying another C5 and switching to DD-WRT firmware, or buying a router known for good 802.11k/r hand-offs?

You're not going to find anything that fully supports 11k/11r in the consumer space, as this is really intended for multiple AP deployments with a centralized wireless controller.

If you're on a single AP, this is nothing to worry about... even if it's dual band...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!