What's new

86U & AX88 Certain 2.4 G Device Connect With No Internet/LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
I have a Ambient Weather 2902A that uses 2.4G. It had been stable for some time, then decided to go offline for 5 hours daily. I opened a case with Ambient and find that they see this behavior with the 86U and AX88
Thing is, the units connect and are shown as having hours of connect time, but have no internet connection.
This will clear on its own after about 5 hours, or by toggling the 2.4 radio or, oddly enough, restarting the firewall. Occasionally a full reboot of the router is needed.

Since it is the only device I have that shows this and seems to be limited to these two routers, I'm inclined to say it is something with the console.

Are there any settings past the MIMO related to try? So far I've disabled all of those, and changed the modulation scheme with no effect.

How old is the device, have you tried using just legacy settings only?

Look under wifi 2.4 settings. There is a legacy setting under wireless mode. It helped me with a security system having trouble connecting to my 2.4 network.

Look under wifi 2.4 settings. There is a legacy setting under wireless mode. It helped me with a security system having trouble connecting to my 2.4 network.

No legacy under 2.4 GHz on the 86U

Ok, shoot! I have a AC3100. Thought maybe that setting would be universal.:oops:o_O

No legacy under 2.4 GHz on the 86U
There is a "wireless mode" setting for Legacy/n-only/auto on 86U, at least on mine there is! Maybe you first have to disable Smart connect and then choose 2,4G settings.
But then you could use your 20 years old router too ...

I’ll have to research what legacy does as I don’t want to lose the seamless SSIDs

you can set same SSID on both bands, legacy only slows down 2,4G to g-mode max 54Mb/s link speed (real data much less).

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot.

Very simular set up here. Only I have an Ambient Weather 2902. The 2902A was not available when I got mine in April of last year. It worked fine on my AC68U and is working on my AC86U now. Using Merlins 384.8.2. Have not seen this issue, yet. I am using mostly default settings on the router. I did have to disable the 5G radio to get the 2902 to connect to the router. After that I re-enabled the 5G radio and all was fine. Ed@AmbientWearher has always been very helpful at providing support for his products. If your issue continues I pretty sure he will offer you a replacement.

Very simular set up here. Only I have an Ambient Weather 2902. The 2902A was not available when I got mine in April of last year. It worked fine on my AC68U and is working on my AC86U now.

What 2902 firmware are you running?

Unless there has been an automatic firmware update I have not changed anything since I got it. By the way, you can see the station at Weather Underground. Station I'd is KARMARMA6.

There have been several.

Your right and I'm way behind. I had to go look it up. I'm still on version 3.0.3 and it wants me to upgrade but it's working and I'm hesitant to change it.

If all is fine, why bother?

It seems this behavior is limited to the ASUS 86 and 88 according to testing done by me and the manufacturer of the 2902A. I tried all sorts of config with no luck. The company tech guys installed both an 86U and an AX88 with several of their consoles. They were also not able to have a stable connection.
Our observation is this.
The console has a connection to the router but no internet access. There is an app for the console and you can see the console on the app, see it has an IP address. It does not send any data and can't get NTP or DNS info during the outage time. Then, it will clear on its own usually at 05:00. Sometime you have to restart the firewall, toggle the 2.4 radio, or reboot the router.
No logs are created on the router.
Without better info, I'm inclined to agree with their conclusion, don't use these routers if you own a 2902A or 2000 weather station.
My 2902A is up and stable for 3 days on an AP I built on a Linux machine I had available.

Still, I'd like to point this problem out and see if anyone has an idea on how to resolve it.
It isn't isolated to @RMerlin builds as the same issue is reported on the official load. That also makes the TEE functionality that @john9527 helped me with not responsible.

There are some differences between the 2902 and the 2902A. Not exactly sure what they are. Since I upgraded from the 68u to the 86u my 2902 has been online with no problems. It's sending data to the weather underground. I check it several times a day. As I mentioned in my earlier post my firmware is way behind but for now I'm gonna leave it as is. Have you contacted Ed@ambientweather.com He has always been very helpful. As far as I know these units are manufactured by Fine Offset electronics in China. Don't know if you can contact them directly or not. Never tried. This is my second weather station from ambient weather. The first, a WS1090 lasted about 12 years or so. They have been very reliable. Is there anyway you can check with another router, maybe a Netgear or Linksys to see if that makes a difference?

I have been working with Ed and the developers directly.
That is who setup the tests.

And those are the results, about 30% of the ASUS routers fail to keep the console connected to the internet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!