What's new

86u stuck when rebooting or updating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
So have 2 ac86u one is my router and the other one serves as an AP and it's connected through LAN to the main one.
I have this problem with the AP as it gets stuck whenver I reboot it, I try to update the fw or there's a power outage. Is there a way to know what's causing it ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

As far as I'm aware the 86 has a known issue with reboots where it will power it self off, from what you are describing sounds like a hardware issue if it's powering off during reboots, what firmware version are you running?

To so the update you make have to run the firmware recovery tool.

So have 2 ac86u one is my router and the other one serves as an AP and it's connected through LAN to the main one.
I have this problem with the AP as it gets stuck whenver I reboot it, I try to update the fw or there's a power outage. Is there a way to know what's causing it ?

Know issue for years now. Here is the long thread about it.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/

Last edited:
Don't reboot through webui as @Butterfly Bones thread will tell you.|

Do it at the mains but not through webui.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and don't waste anymore time trying to troubleshoot.

Don't reboot through webui as @Butterfly Bones thread will tell you.|

Do it at the mains but not through webui.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and don't waste anymore time trying to troubleshoot.
Well too late since I did try to update to latest Merlin and it was stuck in bootloop, I did the wps + on/off resetting but now the Wi-Fi won't come on, both LEDs are off and I can't access my router ...

Well too late since I did try to update to latest Merlin and it was stuck in bootloop, I did the wps + on/off resetting but now the Wi-Fi won't come on, both LEDs are off and I can't access my router ...

Look up @L&LD nuclear factory reset thread if it's bricked currently.

so i managed to bring it back online and updated my saved settings however i have a question, how do i uodate it now since everytime i try it gets stuck?and can i get the logs from when it was stuck to see what happened?

so i managed to bring it back online and updated my saved settings however i have a question, how do i uodate it now since everytime i try it gets stuck?and can i get the logs from when it was stuck to see what happened?
What MFG Year is on the box on your router?

The 2018 models are renowned for having issues.

You want 2019 MFG year onwards.

Try updating again (with nothing apart from wan plugged in) and if the issue happens again send it back and get a new one under warranty.

The 2018 models are renowned for having issues.

You want 2019 MFG year onwards.

Try updating again (with nothing apart from wan plugged in) and if the issue happens again send it back and get a new one under warranty.
Ok will do but I bought it long time ago plus I bought from the US and I'm not in the US so I would rather have it fixed if not I will just leave it as it is. I managed to get it back up and uploaded my saved settings so all good appart from the 2.4ghz band being dead

Ok will do but I bought it long time ago plus I bought from the US and I'm not in the US so I would rather have it fixed if not I will just leave it as it is. I managed to get it back up and uploaded my saved settings so all good appart from the 2.4ghz band being dead

Yeah 2.4ghz band dead is one of the faults in the 2018 lineup that won't fix itself!

If it has ASUS warranty and you are in the UK I don't know why they would make you send it to US?

Yeah 2.4ghz band dead is one of the faults in the 2018 lineup that won't fix itself!

If it has ASUS warranty and you are in the UK I don't know why they would make you send it to US?
I'm not in the EU, I'm in Morocco :) also this one's 2.4ghz died 3 weeks after purchase and they sent me another one(which is fine so far) and they told me I can keep the faulty one. So my only hope is to be able to update the fw and not get stuck. I'm still on Merlin 384.11.2

I'm not in the EU, I'm in Morocco :) also this one's 2.4ghz died 3 weeks after purchase and they sent me another one(which is fine so far) and they told me I can keep the faulty one. So my only hope is to be able to update the fw and not get stuck. I'm still on Merlin 384.11.2

Ah.

Let me know how you get on!