What's new

A computer is not showing in the Clients list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
This morning the wireless adapter in my wife's laptop died. I plugged in a WiFi dongle, set the appropriate wireless profiles, and she was back in business. However, the connection was slow so I checked in my router - RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.4 - and the laptop did not appear in the Clients list. I see messages in the log showing the dnsqmasq dhcp giving the laptop an IP address, and this router is the laptop's only access to my LAN and the internet so I know router is correctly (or at least effectively) communicating with the laptop. Is there something I need to do to make the computer show as a client?

If you ping the broadcast IP i.e. 192.168.1.255 or whatever subnet you're using it should populate the ARP table i.e. client list.

If you ping the broadcast IP i.e. 192.168.1.255 or whatever subnet you're using it should populate the ARP table i.e. client list.
That didn't work. I got 100% packet loss and nothing changed in the client list. Pinging the missing computer's IP address resulted in a good ping but still didn't change the client list.

There are multiple reports of this problem. No solution that I'm aware of and nothing that Merlin can do because it's closed-source.

Thanks. I suspect this is not the highest priority bug that ASUS is working on. It will probably be with us for a while.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!