What's new

A couple of questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HackedComputer

New Around Here
Hello forum!

New here! I've just recently upgraded to the AC68U. So far, the performance is very good with the latest ASUSWRT.

However, last night I attempted to upgrade to Merlin - it didn't work out, as the Router kept reboot looping on me, however, I was able to restore to the stock firmware after a couple of hours of trying.

I am wondering, what is the WiFi Performance like with the Merlin firmware? I read a while ago that it had been nerfed due to a driver update, what's it current situation now?

Also, I noticed that the settings had retained while restoring the firmware. How does one clear the NVRAM on the AC68U? I had thought restoring the firmware via the reset button and using the firmware recovery utility would clear the NVRAM?

Furthermore, does the stock firmware make use of dnsmasq for caching the DNS?

Cheers!

what is the WiFi Performance like with the Merlin firmware

Identical to the stock firmware.

Also, I noticed that the settings had retained while restoring the firmware. How does one clear the NVRAM on the AC68U? I had thought restoring the firmware via the reset button and using the firmware recovery utility would clear the NVRAM?

Many different methods:

- Power the router on with the WPS button pressed
- Use the mini web interface while in recovery mode and check the option to clear nvram
- Press the reset button a few seconds while router is booted
- Use the Reset Default option on the Firmware Upgrade web page

Furthermore, does the stock firmware make use of dnsmasq for caching the DNS?

Yes.

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the clarification, I've flashed your latest stable; All went A-OK! Teaches me not to play with stuff in the early hours of the morning!

I've flashed it, and it's all running fine. However, how can I enable DNS Caching? I know on the Stock Firmware, you had to set the DNS within the LAN, and not the WAN (As WAN had only one field for a DNS Server)

However, with the Merlin, I've entered it within the LAN field, however the IPs set get pushed out directly to the DHCP Clients, and thus would assume would bypass the dnsmasq caching. However, under the WAN page, there are now two fields, so what I've done is cleared out the LAN page DNS fields, and entered the DNS Servers within the WAN page. that way DHCP issues the DNS as my router's IP, I suspect that this is the correct way for dnsmasq caching to work?

Kindest Regards
Callum

so what I've done is cleared out the LAN page DNS fields, and entered the DNS Servers within the WAN page. that way DHCP issues the DNS as my router's IP, I suspect that this is the correct way for dnsmasq caching to work?
Yes, that is the correct way. As well as providing DNS caching it also allows you to use DNS to resolve LAN host names. (It's also the default setup, apart from you changing the WAN DNS servers from your ISP's to your own preference.)

Many different methods:

- Use the Reset Default option on the Firmware Upgrade web page

Do you mean the "Factory Default - Restore" button on Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting tab?

I thought that Factory Default - Restore button on that tab did not clear nvram. Does it actual also clear the nvram?

I don't see a "Reset Default: option on the Firmware Upgrade tab - now running your latest release.