What's new

A device with multiple clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alpha45

Regular Contributor
Hello,
on my device RT-AC68U firmware: 384.15 appear on some device 2 or more clients, see attachment.
What could be the problem?
I thank

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    270.5 KB · Views: 407
Several threads about this... Nobody knows the exact answer, but I can tell you that the message is misleading.

What it really means is "This device's MAC address has been associated with more than one IP address." For example, it can be forced to happen by (1) Letting a device get an IP assigned via DHCP, then (2) Setting up a reservation to assign a different IP to that device's MAC, then (3) Rebooting the device. As soon as the device binds to the new IP, the Networkmap will display that "2 devices are connecting..." message.

It sometimes goes away with a router reboot. It sometimes goes away if you toggle IPv6 on/off (or off/on, depending on current status). It doesn't hurt anything -- so as hard as it is for me, I've learned to ignore it.

Reactions: a5m
Several threads about this... Nobody knows the exact answer, but I can tell you that the message is misleading.

What it really means is "This device's MAC address has been associated with more than one IP address." For example, it can be forced to happen by (1) Letting a device get an IP assigned via DHCP, then (2) Setting up a reservation to assign a different IP to that device's MAC, then (3) Rebooting the device. As soon as the device binds to the new IP, the Networkmap will display that "2 devices are connecting..." message.

It sometimes goes away with a router reboot. It sometimes goes away if you toggle IPv6 on/off (or off/on, depending on current status). It doesn't hurt anything -- so as hard as it is for me, I've learned to ignore it.

Agreed. It may also happen with devices that connect wirelessly, and at other times via ethernet, such as computers.

I thought it happened because I use another router as a bridge and have things plugged into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
on my device RT-AC68U firmware: 384.15 appear on some device 2 or more clients, see attachment.
What could be the problem?
I thank
Just went through this problem. In my case I had a NAS crash and it had to be recovered, which involved significant help from another individual familiar with the code on it. When it was back running, I had the "2 clients are connecting....." comment for the NAS. After searching and trying multiple activities, it appears that in the recovery since, I had originally set a static IP for NAS, the ASUS router reserved the DHCP lease for the static IP allocation because it was still set. When the NAS crashed the NAS recovery process deleted it, but didn't convey it to the router, as would normally have been done if I had changed it to DHCP on the NAS. To get it to clear, I selected the NAS on the client status page and then turned on Mac and IP Address binding using the IP address it was connected with. This took care of the 2 clients issue. I was able to deselect the MAC and IP Address binding and the problem did not reoccur. I left it on since I am running double NAT and have a problem with the NAS selecting 169.254.XXX.XX when it would boot. Otherwise I had to unplug the ethernet cable from the NAS and plug it back in for it to get a correct IP Address. Which is why I had it set to a static IP when it crashed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!