What's new

A few odd questions about using a 'splitter'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zerox13

New Around Here
Here's the situation:

I have a basement apartment and the landlords allow me to use their wifi signal for internet. I can not drill holes to run cabling to my PC, so I use this device:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PTCFFW/?tag=snbforums-20
...to pick up the wireless signal, which is wired to a Cisco router's 'internet' port, that I use down here for all my devices. The Cisco router sees the TP-Link as a wired internet connection, as if plugged directly into a modem. My PC is wired to the Cisco router, anything that can't be wired, like my phone or tablet, uses wifi from the Cisco router. I am able to get, so far, an average of 5MBps speeds on my PC through this frankenstein setup.

I was thinking about getting another of those TP-Link devices, and wiring them into a 'splitter', like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016NUDZ4I/?tag=snbforums-20
...so that 2 plug into the splitter, and one cable connects to the Cisco router. For argument sake I'll assume the splitter is capable of accepting and delivering LAN speeds, I hope anyway.

The questions:
1. Would this result in the speed being compounded, delivering 10MBps speeds?
2. Would it even be possible for the Cisco router to accept an 'internet' connection from, physically the same, but 2 different sources? As in, any IP address confusion.
3. Would the splitter act somewhat as a filter, making the 2 connections look like one to the Cisco router? I'm assuming so, since the router already sees one TP-Link as a wired connection, but I'm not 100% sure...

The questions:
1. Would this result in the speed being compounded, delivering 10MBps speeds?
2. Would it even be possible for the Cisco router to accept an 'internet' connection from, physically the same, but 2 different sources? As in, any IP address confusion.
3. Would the splitter act somewhat as a filter, making the 2 connections look like one to the Cisco router? I'm assuming so, since the router already sees one TP-Link as a wired connection, but I'm not 100% sure...
That "splitter" won't do any of the above.
A router has to be dual-WAN to accept multiple internet connections.

The best way to improve your bandwidth is to get a better bridge. Since you are using a separate router, all you need is a wireless bridge or extender.
Find out what kind of router your landlord has and buy an extender that matches its class. If he has an AC class router, get an AC class extender.

I was a bit apprehensive about that splitter, it seemed too good to be true in the way I was hoping. I just logged in to the cable modem it's a Verizon FiOS modem/router, model MI424WR-GEN3I, any suggestions on a compatible bridge or extender?

I'd also like to note that, being in a basement apartment, the wireless signal does need to compete with a couple of pipes between the ceiling/floor, but I believe where I have the TP-Link located now should be a clear path without obstruction.

EDIT: Thank you both for your input btw, I'm new to the site and I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
ACK, an oldie. Its 11bgn. So using an AC bridge may not help you.

A thought - pick up a "media bridge" - it'll act as a WiFi client to the parent AP, and give you one or more ethernet ports that you can use... Sometimes they're called "game adapters" - serves the same purpose - WiFi back to ethernet.

Many travel routers will do the same thing... WiFi as the WAN side...

I was a bit apprehensive about that splitter, it seemed too good to be true in the way I was hoping. I just logged in to the cable modem it's a Verizon FiOS modem/router, model MI424WR-GEN3I, any suggestions on a compatible bridge or extender?

I'd also like to note that, being in a basement apartment, the wireless signal does need to compete with a couple of pipes between the ceiling/floor, but I believe where I have the TP-Link located now should be a clear path without obstruction.

EDIT: Thank you both for your input btw, I'm new to the site and I appreciate the help.

This router (it is not a modem ) has built in MOCA. If you have a coaxial cable drop in your space AND your landlord shares his CATV with you all is needed is a single MOCA adapter and you have a hardwired connection to the router. Even if your landlord doesn't share video service with you it is still worth a try unless FIOS put a trap/filter on to block the MOCA signal, but they probably didn't since the MOCA isn't going to back feed into the WAN since that connection is fiber.

The powerline and Moca suggestions are excellent and will easily increase your speedn well beyond 10Mbit if they can work in your building.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!