What's new

A few questions before I purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All I did was change the port # to one that is different than the router. When I would try to remote in to the NAS on the myqnapcloud I would get the router login and not the NAS. I have updated the router password as well as have the NAS password protected. If you think there is a concern with this please let me know. I have not forwarded anything as far as I know just did this

Ahh... QNAPCloud, got it... and with the carrier provided router/gateway one might not be able to disable the remote Router Login.

The TVS-471 is not as challenging to change the ram on as the x70 series. based on the guide online from QNAP.

If you go to the specifications section on the x71 series and click on the installation guide for the ram the x71 series is on the very bottom of the page. Both appear to be rather accessible without removing anything other than the case and drives.

I see the website has the instructions in HTML, the PDF hasn't been updated as this is a new product - and it's a bit more involved than some, but not nearly as involved as the TS-*70 products.

Tough choice between bumping up RAM or adding Storage, but I'm still recommending to add storage first, then consider bumping up the RAM - it's got 4GB already, QTS is pretty memory efficient, and unless you're running VM's, the additional memory doesn't have much to offer on a cost/benefit basis, IMHO...

Swap memory is behaving well now, since the second reboot it has not gone back into "Free climb" mode. I did transfer 100+ photos processed from Lightroom over yesterday just as a test and it did not do go back into free climb.

Thought so, as I saw similar behavior with the TS453Pro, and it settled down quite nicely...

Now just looking forward to QTS 4.2 - with lxc and docker (Container Station), and all the other updates - word is end of June for General Availability Release.

BTW - the QGenie (QC-103) arrived today - haven't had a chance to play with it as I've been busy with work stuff, but it's sitting on the desk charging its battery..

Anyways, sounds like you're getting settled with the box - you mentioned media transcodes and other activities... how's that all working out? How do you have things connected there? HDMI to TV? If so, how are you driving things - IR remote to Keyboard/Mouse on the USB?

Thanks on the router info I was a little scared based on your comments, I did not think I had done anything too far out there but glad of the confirmation.

If the RAM and the HDD were the same price the choice would be easy:D. I am thinking of just installing one 8 gig stick in the 471 and putting the other in my PC taking it up to 16 gigs. Even with 8 gigs on the pc when I have Lightroom open and browser pages it can get up there near the limit. My RAM on the QNAP is hovering right at around 25% now for the last couple of days and no more swap memory issues currently @ 113 of 517. If I put one 8 gig in the memory would drop to around 12%.

I have the 471 connected to my Yamaha RX-A3010 receiver HDMI and connected to the 16 port switch CAT6.

Cool thing on the multimedia/DLNA aspect. If I play a file I recorded on my Galaxy 5 phone from the NAS to the PC, the CPU on the NAS gets jacked way up % wise and temperature and honestly does not look good on my PC, lots of tiling etc. which I found kind of odd. I have a Panasonic 65" Plasma Smart TV, that until today I had not even had the time to test the functionality between the 471 and it. So today I just grabbed the TV remote and went to the menu, searched the network, and there was the 471. I navigated my way to the multimedia folder (This is where I ended up putting most all of my files in a logical structure) and then went and selected the 4:04 minute video that really made the NAS sweat when playing back to the PC. This video is of my son and I riding one of those swings that go around in a circle at a fair so with all of the motion it might just be a really tough video clip to transcode. Well I played it on the TV and wow did it look great, I mean high-def great. I was concerned however as I was afraid that this was taxing the NAS as it always has done (this is what got the CPU up to almost 160F before). To my surprise not only did the video look really, really great, as it should, but the NAS was not even working at all CPU wise. So I have come to understand that the TV was basically doing the "Playing/Transcoding" (If transcoding is even necessary as I think the TV is already capable of playing this type of file transcoding not needed). The 471 was simply feeding the data to the display and it was doing whatever it needed to do to play it. . The menu on the TV will allow me to pick a folder of photos and do a slideshow of them with many transition effects etc. I did see many video clips in the files that had an exclamation mark on them saying that they could not be played, I will need to look into this further when I have time.

I am really liking having access to my work files at the ready any time as today I was working with a customer looking to buy a wheel loader and I needed to check and see if the model he is looking to buy fell into a special territory discount program we have, I didn't think so but wanted to be sure. I pulled out my phone, fired up Qfile, logged in (I will not allow auto log in on any of these Apps, too risky in my opinion) found the file I was after (Which is a PowerPoint file) and verified that I could not use the program as this machine is not in it. I have used it this way several other times already as well. This was my main purpose for the NAS and it is really working out very well.

I am however having trouble "Sharing" files. I tried to send a share out for a field trip and they cannot access it. I am thinking (could be wrong here) that the port change I had to make due to the router is affecting this. The "Address" that is being sent ends in 8080. I am thinking that this is for the port 80 and I had to change this as I had earlier indicated due to the router and the NAS wanting to use port 80. I am guessing on this, it should just work but is not. I will get with the folks at QNAP, I am sure there is a simple modification I can make to sort this out.

Temps are at 107, 107 and 109 at the moment CPU, System and HDD at the respectively.

I am sure the newness will eventually wear off and it will just "Be there" but I am loving it so far.

On a side note I just want to say that all those hours spent using the demo helped me out a lot but man the cool effect was at 100% when I was actually controlling my own NAS on my own network once I got it up and running. I know that might sound a little "Geeky" but it sure is cool to me. I will get the other drives populated, load all my music on it and then sort out what my issue is trying to copy movies, still have not gotten this sorted but have not spent a ton of time on it either.

Sorry for the long post, I guess this one "Got away from me" a little:eek:.

Look forward to your responses.

BC

Look forward to your responses.

I really don't have much to respond with - other than it's pretty awesome that everything is meeting expectations.

Just remember that Linux (which is what QTS is built on), Linux manages memory much differently than what one is used to seeing on Windows.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!