What's new

a Good NAS to stream movies

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stalliondreamz

New Around Here
Hey Guys,
Im a newbie when it comes to NAS devices. I recently bought the Iomega IX2 diskless NAS and only to find out that it does not support MKV files. Most (all) my files are MKV format so what a waste. Will be returning it soon. Can someone please suggest which is a good NAS to buy to stream movies to local and cloud network, price would also be a factor, something not incredibly expensive but does a decent job. Would also want it to stream it to mobile devices. I have a 1GB network with cat 6.

Thanks,
JS

Check out the synology 413. It can run plex server and with its x86 processor can transcode video in real time to stream to mobile devices. Another and cheaper option, but more complicated to make it work, would be an hp micro server running unraid and the plex server app.

Get the NSA325 cost you less takes up to 3TB SATA III 32/64MB cache no issues with that format or B-Ray 1080p AC3 and larger GB size movies stream smooth. My CPU in the NSA325 is 1.6GHz. I use AVI and MKV no issues..

Maybe the IOmega's DLNA doesn't like MKV files? A stretch.

Two drive NAS might be fine. DS212j as suggested earlier. I'm pleased with my DS212 (one step up from DS212j).

Yes, the IOMEGA device could not stream MKV files. Kept getting error that file not supported.
I have narrowed down to these two:

- Synology DS213
- Zyxel NSA325

Anyone ..?

Thanks,
JS

I'm happy with the DS212
Can't say what file types its DLNA can serve.
Of course, SMB file serving doesn't care what's in the file.

What devices are you trying to stream the MKV files to?

Do you need the ability to transcode the files in real time?

I had an older Iomega ix2-200 for quite a few years and found that it was always my PS3 that had the limited codec support, not the NAS.

What devices are you trying to stream the MKV files to?

Do you need the ability to transcode the files in real time?

I had an older Iomega ix2-200 for quite a few years and found that it was always my PS3 that had the limited codec support, not the NAS.

Awesome! Can you stream to mobile devices like iphone/ ipad?

Thanks!

I don't use iphone or ipad to stream. I use Android Smartphone, Android Tablets with the NSA 325 but just downloading NSA 325 media app or on the tablet like two of my Toshiba Thrives 10.1" both have Toshiba Media Player that supports Windows shares on network. So it sees my NSA 325 and I am able to stream off of that media music, video, etc. Again no issues.