What's new

A little off topic: UPS backup power outdoors - how can I?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
Not totally related to home networking but I trust you folks.
Seeking advice on how I would go about putting a home consumer grade UPS backup power supply outdoors (in MidAtlantic weather).

Purpose is to provide an electrical charge for my outside mounted gas tankless water heater so that in freezing
conditions & a power outage - it will have its re-circulation pump working.

I'm thinking I need:
1) A water proof enclosure - not sure if plastic or metal is better.
2) Some weather proofing material - freeze protect & heat resistant

Any ideas?

Seeking advice on how I would go about putting a home consumer grade UPS backup power supply outdoors (in MidAtlantic weather).

Purpose is to provide an electrical charge for my outside mounted gas tankless water heater so that in freezing

I'm thinking I need:

Any ideas?

Most consumer UPS units will only provide enough power to run a small pump for minutes or maybe an hour. In freezing weather the battery will provide even less power.

To make your idea work you will need a small inverter and a much larger deep cycle marine battery.

Most consumer UPS units will only provide enough power to run a small pump for minutes or maybe an hour. In freezing weather the battery will provide even less power.

To make your idea work you will need a small inverter and a much larger deep cycle marine battery.

You don't think a home UPS can handle a max draw of 200W & 2A?
It's a gas tankless with a small pilot light & the power only comes on to swish the water around to stop it from freezing .

So all small draws .

You don't think a home UPS can handle a max draw of 200W & 2A?
It's a gas tankless with a small pilot light & the power only comes on to swish the water around to stop it from freezing .

So all small draws .

If the UPS you select has a typical 5 Ah battery that would mean that under the best of conditions it is capable of 60 Watts of power for one hour. With your current draw a small UPS would only run your water heater's pump for 18 minutes.

As I said you need to look at purchasing a larger system that can utilize a larger battery(s) 500 Ah. Tripp Lite makes a line of inverter/chargers that will maintain your battery string and then almost instantly switch over to providing AC power from your battery. Not inexpensive US$400 + plus the additional bucks to buy one or more deep cycle batteries. You would have to locate this device in your basement or garage and then extend the AC electrical connection to the water heater.

I'm thinking I need:

Any ideas?
I want to ask your scenario, this is very related to the scenario and the power you need. First of all, there are basically no consumer-grade outdoor ups in the market. They are generally industrial-grade, but if you choose the right product, the cost will not be too high. And your scene actually has to use industrial grade, because the calculation will find that the capacity is not small. The second consideration is the amount of time you need to back up. For example, let's assume that it is based on the specification of 220V 5A. then the battery capacity needed to run your gas tankless water heater for an hour

Electricity=220V*5A=1100WH=1.1KWH

If we use DC48V battery, then Battery Capacity=1100WH/48V= 22.91AH@48V

You will find that this capacity is not small, and general civilian-level UPS will not reach this size.

It should also be considered that if it is outdoors, it is best to use a UPS with IP65 level protection, because the humidity and the surrounding environment may affect the system in different outdoor seasons. For your reference, this is the IP65 UPS I designed, but it is not a civilian product. You can refer to the following general scheme and find similar products in the market:

https://edgewaretech.com/edgeware-outdoor-ups-edge-power-series-300w-500w-1kva-2kva-3kva/.html

The battery is also a factor. If you put it outdoors, it must be a lithium battery. If it is a GEL battery, the high temperature in summer will also become a problem.

I'm thinking I need:

Any ideas?

Solar Powered Heat Cables.​