What's new

SOLVED: A specific website makes my connection "drops"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caple

Regular Contributor
Well, it does not really drop, but I have no idea what word to use.
Everytime I try to access www.pichau.com.br (it's a PC hardware retailer) my connection kind of drops.

It happens in any browser. Tried Chrome, IE and Firefox. With and without plugins/addons.

The browser stops surfing. Skype is disconnected. Twitter (web based) seems to continue, but really slow (slow timeline update and no picture loading).

I'm still connected. Still have IP. I can still ping websites on command prompt (using web address and IP). I can still tracert websites.
But I can't access any website. Neither my router.

After about 2 minutes everything gets back to normal. Like nothing happened.

Network drivers are updated. Windows 10 also. Browsers are on the latest version. Other devices on the network, like my smartphone and tablet, still access internet during this period.
What gives? Any idea?

Thank you.

What router? What firmware? What are your ISP speeds?

It took almost a minute to load this site for me (RT-AC68U and 105d/23u ISP speeds). Very slow, but my network didn't die here.

TP-Link 1043ND. Latest firmware. Cable internet 30/3Mb.
This is the only website I have this problem. Everything else works perfectly fine.

TP-Link 1043ND. Latest firmware. Cable internet 30/3Mb.
This is the only website I have this problem. Everything else works perfectly fine.

Have you tried plugging your computer directly into the modem and seeing if it works then?

The modem is configured as bridge. It has two LAN ports. One feeding the router.
But I know that anything connected to the other LAN can still access the web. Without any security, probably.
Should I try like that?

The modem is configured as bridge. It has two LAN ports. One feeding the router.
But I know that anything connected to the other LAN can still access the web. Without any security, probably.
Should I try like that?

Does that mean the TP-Link 1043ND has a public (WAN) address then?

Sure, try the second port and also try plugging in the computer directly to the first port too (briefly, as a test).

Just tried it, directly on the modem. Lost connection again.
Had to reboot the router (the TP-Link) to have access again, after reconnecting the cable to it.
It does not make sense. :/

Last edited:
Just tried it, directly on the modem. Lost connection again.
Had to reboot the router (the TP-Link) to have access again, after reconnecting the cable to it.
It does not make sense. :/

Turn off all your network equipment including modem, router, any switches and all devices for as long as you can (now; at least 10 to 30 minutes, when you go to bed; overnight).

Then;

Plug in the modem and wait 5 minutes for it to fully boot.

Plug in the router (TP-Link) and wait 5 minutes for it to fully boot.

Plug in any switches you may have and turn on all wired devices, followed by any wireless devices.

Is it fixed now?

I'm about to go to bet, so I'll do it. Will see what happens tomorrow morning and let you know.
Thanx.

I'm about to go to bet, so I'll do it. Will see what happens tomorrow morning and let you know.
Thanx.

Make sure you leave all equipment unplugged from the AC power (or fully turned off, if battery is not removable) before nodding off. :)

It happens in any browser. Tried Chrome, IE and Firefox. With and without plugins/addons.

If you're on Windows, assuming you are since the IE reference...

Fire up a command session - ipconfig /flushdns

Solves a lot of problems... sounds like you're in a loop, and http just gives up...

No luck. Still dropping. Very strange.
I've tried flushing dns. It does not work. Neither renewing IP.
I think it might be a network driver problem. It may hang for some reason and "wakes up" when I reboot the router and it tries to contact with the network card.
It is definitly the desktop. Just accessed the website on my notebook and it's ok.

Is it possible that your anti virus software believes (rightly or wrongly) that the web page contains malware, and so blocks access ?

Even if owner of the web site is a company of good reputation, their web site may have been compromised by bad guys from elsewhere. It would not be the first time that this has happened.

Is it possible that your anti virus software believes (rightly or wrongly) that the web page contains malware, and so blocks access ?

Even if owner of the web site is a company of good reputation, their web site may have been compromised by bad guys from elsewhere. It would not be the first time that this has happened.
Other computers on the house use only Windows Defender. So does my computer. But mine is the only one that bugs when accessing it.
I'm accessing it through VPN when I want to check some prices. Will keep like that for now. Dunno what else to try.
It will probably go away when I format it, someday.

Solved.
Turns out Hamachi was the problem. I have it installed for a long time, so I believe it started after some update.
Rebooted in safe mode and the connection didn't hang when accessing the websites. Removed Hamachi from startup and everything is fine now.
Thanx for everyone that tried to help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!