What's new

AB-Solution 1.07 is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@majnu, i don't see entware runing from your script....you have to install entware first

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton
AB-Solution does not require entware or any other dependancies to run.

I previously didn't have entware installed when it used to work.

Is there something specific I need to have entered on my router's web page?

Last edited:
I previously didn't have entware installed when it used to work.

Is there something specific I need to have entered on my router's web page?
there is nothing specific on router side...i do not have any idea what goes wrong for you....i test right now just ab-solution installed, entware was removed and all working well....what do you get in logfile from router?

there is nothing specific on router side...i do not have any idea what goes wrong for you....i test right now just ab-solution installed, entware was removed and all working well....what do you get in logfile from router?
I don't have logging enabled, but I turned it on and now the ads have gone. I watched some youtube and twitch videos and everything is back to normal and I pressed "f" and followed what was being blocked.

It shouldn't have worked as logging as nothing to do with blocking ads, atleast that is what I assumed.

Thanks

I don't have logging enabled, but I turned it on and now the ads have gone. I watched some youtube and twitch videos and everything is back to normal and I pressed "f" and followed what was being blocked.

It shouldn't have worked as logging as nothing to do with blocking ads, atleast that is what I assumed.

Thanks
It restarts dnsmasq when you toggle logging off/on. Maybe dnsmasq had an error during boot and didn't run. Check your syslog.

It restarts dnsmasq when you toggle logging off/on. Maybe dnsmasq had an error during boot and didn't run. Check your syslog.

That must have been it. I checked system log and I have entries as shown below which weren't there before

dnsmasq[25969]: read /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/blacklist.txt - 12 addresses
dnsmasq[25969]: read /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/hosts-adblock - 52004 addresses
admin: AB-Solution added entries via ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
admin: AB-Solution linked dnsmasq.postconf to ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh

@majnu I have run Videos from both sites, connected through VPN to London and have seen no ads.
I do run the 1.08-beta on my main router with IPv6 enabled.
Unless you actually have IPv6 activated and run the 1.07 version then these ads may get through.

My blacklist has (among others) these entries:
Code:
0.0.0.0 r4---sn-vgqs7nez.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 r4.sn-vgqs7nez.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 www.youtube-nocookie.com
0.0.0.0 youtube-ui.l.google.com
0.0.0.0 i1.ytimg.com
0.0.0.0 r17---sn-vgqsenes.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 r2---sn-vgqs7n7k.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 clients6.google.com
0.0.0.0 r1---sn-vgqsen7z.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 r1.sn-vgqsen7z.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 r20---sn-vgqs7ne7.googlevideo.com
0.0.0.0 r20.sn-vgqs7ne7.googlevideo.com
Maybe they help you.
I added this code to my blacklist and now I can't see youtube at all.

I added this code to my blacklist and now I can't see youtube at all.
Did you add these IPv4 domains as IPv6 as well? Don't do it.

@IngoPan this has been mentioned and explained by others already.
And since you ask nicely this time, I am willing to divulge a bit more than usual.

Adding pixelserve-tls may look easy but in reality is quite some work to build into my script.
I am on it, but it will take time to finish.

I want the pixelserve-tls install to be as seamless and as simple as installing AB-Solution.
That means checking if Entware (and which version) is installed, install it if not present and then add pixelserve-tls and create the https certificates to make the tls part work.
I'm a slow programmer and take my time to code. It is my time and I decide when to volunteer it for this project.

Keep in mind that AB-Solution is my way of thanking the community.
I felt the need for an automated install of my original scripts "AdBlocking with combined hosts file" was given so I coded a simple install script.
I read good things about it here and people had worthwhile suggestions. So I added functionality beyond of what I had in mind.
This is where we are now. I somehow feel AB-Solution is complete and functioning and far exceeds my expectations.

On the other hand, I made promises or hinted at future functions of AB-Solution earlier. Pixelserve will be integrated as an option in Ab-Solution.
But the GUI version may never happen. It's just too much work to make it working.

@IngoPan this has been mentioned and explained by others already.
And since you ask nicely this time, I am willing to divulge a bit more than usual.

Adding pixelserve-tls may look easy but in reality is quite some work to build into my script.
I am on it, but it will take time to finish.

I want the pixelserve-tls install to be as seamless and as simple as installing AB-Solution.
That means checking if Entware (and which version) is installed, install it if not present and then add pixelserve-tls and create the https certificates to make the tls part work.
I'm a slow programmer and take my time to code. It is my time and I decide when to volunteer it for this project.

Keep in mind that AB-Solution is my way of thanking the community.
I felt the need for an automated install of my original scripts "AdBlocking with combined hosts file" was given so I coded a simple install script.
I read good things about it here and people had worthwhile suggestions. So I added functionality beyond of what I had in mind.
This is where we are now. I somehow feel AB-Solution is complete and functioning and far exceeds my expectations.

On the other hand, I made promises or hinted at future functions of AB-Solution earlier. Pixelserve will be integrated as an option in Ab-Solution.
But the GUI version may never happen. It's just too much work to make it working.
Hey, and you were my inspiration to make a similar script for DD-WRT :)

Do what YOU need to do, and what you feel is needed. Then, if someone likes it, or wants to build on it, you were kind enough to publish on git (I on dropbox), and someone can take your work and tweak it their hearts content.

Hello, I'm running Merlin 380.60 on my RT-AC3200. I've an vpn client running an ab-solution. Everything works fine but when I choose "Exclusive" in the Accept DNS Configuration, ads aren't blocked anymore (it works with Strict). Is it possible to use Exclusive, and a working ab-solution together?

TIA,
Patrick

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Hello, I'm running Merlin 380.60 on my RT-AC3200. I've an vpn client running an ab-solution. Everything works fine but when I choose "Exclusive" in the Accept DNS Configuration, ads aren't blocked anymore (it works with Strict). Is it possible to use Exclusive, and a working ab-solution together?

TIA,
Patrick

Before I wrote back to you, I wanted to verify. So taking into account the meaning of what "Strict" vs "Exclusive" means, Exclusive means you are Exclusively using the DNS provider that is at the other end of the VPN tunnel, not what you have defined locally (like ISP, or Google etc..).

What you are asking, not that you may realize it, is to take the "Exclusive" option, and basically make it the "Strict" option. This is all happening with DNSMasq, my thought is that exclusive bypasses dnsmasq.

Here is a good write up (took a few seconds to google):
OpenVPN DNS leaking

That's because it can't block ads when you use the dns of your vpn provider... Simple as that

Thanks for your quick response,

I already thought it wasn't the smartest question [emoji29]

Kr
Patrick

No problem!

No questions are dumb! You'll learn something new everytime you get something clarified. Remember that!

I'm just glad to help :)

That's because it can't block ads when you use the dns of your vpn provider... Simple as that
Technically speaking, we "could" do this in theory. For example, I use PIA as my VPN provider. They provide to users their IP's of their DNS servers:

So, (now follow me here :) ) , If you define your DNS servers (instead of ISP or google, open dns etc,..) as your VPN providers DNS servers, then you CAN actually use your VPN providers DNS servers while ALSO using Adblocking via dnsmasq :)

Of course, this would be the "strict" option, but giving you the benefit you would get with "Exclusive", while also maintaining your ad blocking. :cool:

Last edited:
Technically speaking, we "could" do this in theory. For example, I use PIA as my VPN provider. They provide to users their IP's of their DNS servers:

So, (now follow me here :) ) , If you define your DNS servers (instead of ISP or google, open dns etc,..) as your VPN providers DNS servers, then you CAN actually use your VPN providers DNS servers while ALSO using Adblocking via dnsmasq :)

Of course, this would be the "strict" option, but giving you the benefit you would get with "Exclusive", while also maintaining your ad blocking. :cool:

Thanks,

But this gives me an error at dnsleaking.com
3b217296ccc8cdd3f3b17fa038c47245.jpg

But it gives not my actual IP adres.