What's new

AB-Solution 1.07 is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This stopped working early this morning.

It was set to update at 2am Tuesday (today).

I'm getting a ton of ads, and can resolve names that are in the host files.

Any ideas?

I've had it manually update, reprocess and still no luck. Also issued a reboot to the router from the command prompt.

Thanks

Any ideas?

I've had it manually update, reprocess and still no luck. Also issued a reboot to the router from the command prompt.

Thanks
How big is your /adblocking/hosts-adblock file?
Depending on which hosts type you use this should be filled with thousands of blocked domains.

How big is your /adblocking/hosts-adblock file?
Depending on which hosts type you use this should be filled with thousands of blocked domains.
Well I think I may see the problem... it is currently 0 bytes. Ideas how this could have happened/how to fix? My whitelist.txt is also... zero bytes... :(

And going back and redoing host file type rebuilt the host file.

But my (not backed up :() whitelist is still gone...

Last edited:
Well I think I may see the problem... it is currently 0 bytes. Ideas how this could have happened/how to fix? My whitelist.txt is also... zero bytes... :(

And going back and redoing host file type rebuilt the host file.

But my (not backed up :() whitelist is still gone...
Faulty or full USB Stick, unexpected shutdown of the router?

I bought an 87U and installed ab7, yet some sites like SNB keep showing ads. My old 68U is now running as an access point should I have uninstalled adblock of it first? I simply transferred the USB stick from the 68u to the 87u, installed the latest beta Merlin f/w and ran the same scripts in the first page.

Edit - Nevermind, gave the router a hard reset and it seems to be working now

Last edited:
I bought an 87U and installed ab7, yet some sites like SNB keep showing ads. My old 68U is now running as an access point should I have uninstalled adblock of it first? I simply transferred the USB stick from the 68u to the 87u, installed the latest beta Merlin f/w and ran the same scripts in the first page.
By default, some ads are whitelisted by AB-Solution for the Smallnetbuilder Domains to help keep the site afloat. This is prominently mentioned when you install it.

No need to uninstall the old adblocker on your stick, my script has most likely dealt with it during install and removed conflicting entries.

Strange thing I have been noticing. I have a Sony Bravia KDL 55 W829 TV and Youtube videos are taking ages to load and freeze from the integrated Youtube app. This is for all videos and I've had to remove the dongle from my router to stop this from happening as my toddlers start crying when their programme stops playing.

The TV is connected via wired cat6 ethernet. I only unplugged the dongle today so will test properly tomorrow if the TV services continue to work flawlessly with AB Solution removed from the router.

Ok with no AB installed the videos play fine and I think I know what is happening.

The children's Youtube videos have ads which you can skip after 5 seconds or watch the whole 30 second clip until the video plays. AB solution is blocking the advertisement for the entire 30 seconds hence why nothing plays.

During the children's video there are ads again which last for a couple of seconds and again when they appear AB Solution blocks them but as a result freezes playback.

As a recommendation, it'd be great to have the option upon install to choose which MACs you want adblocked.

As a recommendation, it'd be great to have the option upon install to choose which MACs you want adblocked.
That would need a proxy server such as privoxy to do that. That is not in the planning.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Well, Tuesday morning again.

Hosts-Adblock is zero bytes with a time stamp of 02:21. Any idea why scheduled updates fail for me?

Well, Tuesday morning again.

Hosts-Adblock is zero bytes with a time stamp of 02:21. Any idea why scheduled updates fail for me?

Same here problem still zero bytes then tried reinstall it show up list of ad block again okay but i think it will be zero byte again. but this ad block tool is not working.. theres still show up a lot of advertise on website... i used old ad block tool from http://www.snbforums.com/threads/adblocking-with-combined-hosts-file.15309/ was better working block ad.

this tool need to improve and make it work.

@Ramias and @alienx2 Does it generate a zero size file as well when you run the update manually with the option (u) ?
If yes please post the output of cru l (lower case L):
Code:
cru l
and the contents of /adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh
The latter file should also have rwxr-xr-x / 0755 permissions.

Also, it could be that none of the hosts domains listed in update-hosts.sh are reachable for some reason. This would create a zero size file as well.

@Ramias and @alienx2 Does it generate a zero size file as well when you run the update manually with the option (u) ?
If yes please post the output of cru l (lower case L):
Code:
cru l
and the contents of /adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh
The latter file should also have rwxr-xr-x / 0755 permissions.

Also, it could be that none of the hosts domains listed in update-hosts.sh are reachable for some reason. This would create a zero size file as well.

@thelonelycoder
i did 'cru l' look fine like this:
00 02 * * 3 /tmp/mnt/TOSHIBA/adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh #UpdateHosts#

then i tested to run update-hosts.sh look okay now. last time it was said error something about temp1 no exist file..

then i tested to run update-hosts.sh look okay now. last time it was said error something about temp1 no exist file..
The temp1/temp2 files ares briefly made and used to combine/sort the hosts files. They get deleted after the job is done. Maybe that file was already existent but not writable by the script.
Look for the temp1 file next time you get a zero size hosts-blocked file in that same directory and look at the permissions of it.
this tool need to improve and make it work.
So, no need to improve it then?

I will also note, I have ran into this 3 or 4 times so far, where an update to the script fails while it is looking for temp1, this always ends in a 0 kb hosts-adblock file. Every time this has happened, I always end up having to uninstall everything, reset, and start over. It seems to be working okay at the moment, though I don't think I have made it a full week yet to allow it to auto update (will happen tonight). I have just been adding entries to the white list and processing those without issue. This, IIRC, cropped up when I was either changing the host files lists from something like malware to shooters, or if I was issuing a command to manually process the lists again.

But I do agree, there are scenarios where looking for temp1 errors out the process and it all comes crumbling down.