What's new

AC-3200 384.12 Administration Website messed up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cgrow

New Around Here
Sorry, I know that is not a very technical description.

I had my system apart today to mount my AC-3200 to a wall.
Everything got plugged back and the internet works just fine.

Sadly, when I went to login to the router, the management pages take forever and most of the time they timeout. I have to constantly hit refresh on the browser just to get to past login and bring the main page up.
I feel stupid because I can't think of any causality here.
I would assume I messed the hardware up if not for working internet.

Took loads of time to finally scrape the pages with my basic setup and port forwarding.
Could do a factory reset at this point.

Was able to attempt a reflash which didn't change anything.

I will mention, before this I was experiencing some odd behavior.
The longer the router was on the slower it would get.
Towards the end of the day DSLREPORTS would alway show very low speeds.
I would reboot the 3200 and it would be back to perfect.

It seems like maybe a file system problem but i'm not a unix expert.
Probably my next thing is a hard reset with the WDS button ( last resort )

If this doesn't work, is it time for a new unit?

Chris

Sorry, I know that is not a very technical description.

I had my system apart today to mount my AC-3200 to a wall.
Everything got plugged back and the internet works just fine.

Sadly, when I went to login to the router, the management pages take forever and most of the time they timeout. I have to constantly hit refresh on the browser just to get to past login and bring the main page up.
I feel stupid because I can't think of any causality here.
I would assume I messed the hardware up if not for working internet.

Took loads of time to finally scrape the pages with my basic setup and port forwarding.
Could do a factory reset at this point.

Was able to attempt a reflash which didn't change anything.

I will mention, before this I was experiencing some odd behavior.
The longer the router was on the slower it would get.
Towards the end of the day DSLREPORTS would alway show very low speeds.
I would reboot the 3200 and it would be back to perfect.

It seems like maybe a file system problem but i'm not a unix expert.
Probably my next thing is a hard reset with the WDS button ( last resort )

If this doesn't work, is it time for a new unit?

Chris

Before you nuke configuration, try different browser. If all else fails just factory reset and rebuild configuration from scratch, without relying on restore from backup. If possible do in initial config when connected via ethernet cable.

Before you nuke configuration, try different browser. If all else fails just factory reset and rebuild configuration from scratch, without relying on restore from backup. If possible do in initial config when connected via ethernet cable.
Tried multiple browsers (Chrome, IE, Edge, Chredge). I (slowly) scraped all the settings so I could manually rebuild it. I will do the config by ethernet as I barely use WIFI. Its really a weird situation that I can't reconcile inside my head. Does it no like laying sideway? Does the screw inside make it feel weird? Maybe the screw was just to darn long. But why did it affect the management page and not general internet access. Finally got the log file..

Tried multiple browsers (Chrome, IE, Edge, Chredge). I (slowly) scraped all the settings so I could manually rebuild it. I will do the config by ethernet as I barely use WIFI. Its really a weird situation that I can't reconcile inside my head. Does it no like laying sideway? Does the screw inside make it feel weird? Maybe the screw was just to darn long. But why did it affect the management page and not general internet access. Finally got the log file..
I've seen the UI management slow like that when the server certificate is not exported to your browser's "trusted root certificates" properly.

Wow, I got into the QOS screen and disabled it. Now all my pages come up quickly. What is going on with this thing?

After installing 384.12 on my AC3200, I have come to the same conclusion. This release is not stable for daily use. I performed a factory reset after install and manually restored the settings as recommended. Everything seemed fine until I opened the web UI while torrenting some linux distros. Immediately, all my clients were disconnected from the internet and after a few seconds the wireless network itself. I did try to reflash the firmware and do the settings manually again, all via ethernet cable. No dice.

I have since reverted to the previous version (384.11_2) and my household is happy.

On a side note, I took the chance to install Skynet and Diversion. They work really well with no noticeable performance drop. I really like Asuswrt-Merlin but 384.12 should probably be delegated to beta status.

After installing 384.12 on my AC3200, I have come to the same conclusion. This release is not stable for daily use. I performed a factory reset after install and manually restored the settings as recommended. Everything seemed fine until I opened the web UI while torrenting some linux distros. Immediately, all my clients were disconnected from the internet and after a few seconds the wireless network itself. I did try to reflash the firmware and do the settings manually again, all via ethernet cable. No dice.

I have since reverted to the previous version (384.11_2) and my household is happy.

On a side note, I took the chance to install Skynet and Diversion. They work really well with no noticeable performance drop. I really like Asuswrt-Merlin but 384.12 should probably be delegated to beta status.

Beta? Hardly. :)

You are most likely using features/settings that are not applicable in the latest firmware. Time to do a new 'bare defaults' install to get the benefits of the latest firmware.

The latest RMerlin 384.13 Alpha 2 is just as stable too for many, many people and their varied network usage, let alone the much more extensively tested 384.12 release.

Your singular complaint is hardly a reason to revert the status of a well tested and widely verified release. :)

It's more likely to be a hardware issue than a user issue. I doubt the user is doing anything to cause these stability issues.

Honestly, I am just sharing my experiences. I didn't expect to get such a toxic response on a support forum. Don't you trolls have better things to do, like clean your rooms?

If Merlin would like, I can share a config file privately.
Did you tweak how many connections the router can accept (tools other), or in your torrent client? I have seen people use absurdly high values which can knock a router offline

Did you tweak how many connections the router can accept (tools other), or in your torrent client? I have seen people use absurdly high values which can knock a router offline
No, I leave those settings on default all the time. The most technical thing I did for 384.12 is change settings in the wireless professional tab. I didn't install custom scripts until after reverting to the previous release.

It's more likely to be a hardware issue than a user issue. I doubt the user is doing anything to cause these stability issues.
What sort of hardware issues are you thinking of?

No, I leave those settings on default all the time. The most technical thing I did for 384.12 is change settings in the wireless professional tab. I didn't install custom scripts until after reverting to the previous release.
Are the torrent clients connected via wireless, or wired?

if the router itself reboots when establishing a lot of connections (like torrenting does), then it could be an overheating issue, or a weak power supply.

Not saying this is definitely the cause, but it's a more likely scenario than being something to blame the user for. The user will have to provide more information, such as log content to determine if the router is indeed rebooting.

@WheatonPark: My apologies for the rude welcome to SNBForums.
Please continue to ask your questions.
Thank you, it was not my intention to attack developers here or demand a fix. I am merely reporting my experience which seems to be similar to the thread starter's. Certainly a lot of work has gone into the release.

Are the torrent clients connected via wireless, or wired?
It was via wireless, over the 5GHz if that helps

if the router itself reboots when establishing a lot of connections (like torrenting does), then it could be an overheating issue, or a weak power supply.

Not saying this is definitely the cause, but it's a more likely scenario than being something to blame the user for. The user will have to provide more information, such as log content to determine if the router is indeed rebooting.
I'll try to find a time when my household isn't using the internet to flash the firmware again. Will make a new thread for those logs, sorry for derailing @cgrow

Thank you, it was not my intention to attack developers here or demand a fix. I am merely reporting my experience which seems to be similar to the thread starter's. Certainly a lot of work has gone into the release.

It was via wireless, over the 5GHz if that helps

I'll try to find a time when my household isn't using the internet to flash the firmware again. Will make a new thread for those logs, sorry for derailing @cgrow
Which wireless settings did you change? Does it happen if you don't make those changes?

.12 changelog: UPDATED: RT-AC3200 and RT-AC87U to 382_51640/51634 binary blobs (with a few exceptions for 384_xxxx compatibility)

Maybe slow web interface is caused by this as it seems to be 3200 and 87U that report slowness

I did wonder about hardware as mine was getting warmer than normal. Not OMG warm but warm like this wouldn't be good for long periods of time. This was my main reason for wall mounting my unit. The air vents on the side ( now the top and bottom ) should allow convective cooling. Possibly this release is working the CPU harder and generating more heat???.. SWAG.. I'm up to try the previous firmware though. As a note, I also ordered a new power supply.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!