What's new

AC-5300 only 5Ghz-1 band working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kashif Tasneem

Regular Contributor
Hi. I purchased a used ac-5300. I had set it up it’s dual wan option with fall back selected. It worked fine for 2 days. Then on the 3rd day, I restarted it and it got stuck with power led and both bands leds on. No wifi option ssid was shown, i connected it directly with ethernet but could not connect to it. Neither was I able to go into the settings. So, i restored using rescue utility. After reset, it’s 5Ghz-2 band wasn’t working. It’s mac address was also missing.

Then I installed merlin firmware to it and 5Ghz-2 band came back and it returned to normal state.

1 day passed and the same firmware stuck thing happened again. It happened when my primary WAN went down. It shifted to secondary WAN and got stuck again. I think it happened because my secondary WAN also has a DHCP server and this router also has a DHCP server. So I disabled DHCP server of secondary WAN and repeated the restore process again. Again 5Ghz-2 band vanished with missing Mac address. Also, i am unable to connect to 2.4 Ghz network. Sometimes, it says wrong password, other times it said connection cannot be made. Only 5Ghz-1 is working. Mac address of 2.4 Ghz is showing. Channels are showing for 2.4 Ghz. It’s LED is also enabled. For 5 Ghz-2 there are no channels available. Only Auto is showing and is selected.

I repeated the same reset and restore process again many times but it has not fixed the problem as it did previously.

Any suggestions please?

Use a manual Control channel for the 5GHz band. Not sure how this is related though to dual wan issues you're experiencing?

Use a manual Control channel for the 5GHz band. Not sure how this is related though to dual wan issues you're experiencing?

No channel is available. Only auto is present.

Screenshot-2020-01-18-at-12-16-29-PM.png

When you flashed RMerlin firmware onto the router, did you do a full M&M Config (please see my signature below for the link to that guide)?

Thank you for reply. I tried various things and 5Ghz-2 is back and working fine.

Now the problem is that I am unable to connect to 2.4Ghz. It’s SSID shows, everything is looking fine on admin side but none of the devices are connecting.

I even tried dd-wrt and 2.4Ghz isn’t connecting there as well.

Did you use new SSID's as a test for the 2.4GHz devices to connect to?

Did you use new SSID's as a test for the 2.4GHz devices to connect to?

Sorry, did not understand your point. I disabled Smart Connect. Created different SSIDs for each of the 3 bands. But am unable to connect to 2.4Ghz. Also, occasionally 2.4Ghz band does not show up in wifi list.

Are you using a fixed control channel or is it on Auto?

Try 20 MHz bandwidth instead of 40 MHz that you're now running. Do you have 'Universal' or 'Explicit' beamforming options on? How about 'Smart Connect' or other similarly named 'roaming' options? Try turning those off.

Screenshot-2020-01-19-at-1-14-40-PM.png" alt="Screenshot-2020-01-19-at-1-14-40-PM

No frequency band is appearing for 2.4Ghz.
How did you conncet it, what modem do you have, or do you have a Gateway and how are you connceted from you modem/Gateway to your ASUS?
If you allready have a Router from your ISP you have to set your USUS as a AP, everything depends on wath you have and how you conncet to Internet.
Your modem/Gateway is connected to your WAN port or how?

Try to set it up like this, just to see if it helps you out.
(its not the same GUI i know, but the settings are the same)

83225219_2853433078052733_7033738846827184128_n.jpg

2-png.20310

Last edited:
Try 20 MHz bandwidth instead of 40 MHz that you're now running. Do you have 'Universal' or 'Explicit' beamforming options on? How about 'Smart Connect' or other similarly named 'roaming' options? Try turning those off.

I tried both bands, still on luck. Yes, I toggled Smart Connect too.

How did you conncet it, what modem do you have, or do you have a Gateway and how are you connceted from you modem/Gateway to your ASUS?
If you allready have a Router from your ISP you have to set your USUS as a AP, everything depends on wath you have and how you conncet to Internet.
Your modem/Gateway is connected to your WAN port or how?

Try to set it up like this, just to see if it helps you out.
(its not the same GUI i know, but the settings are the same)

83225219_2853433078052733_7033738846827184128_n.jpg

2-png.20310

My ISP used PPPoE, so, need to set it up as AP. Also. 160Mhz frequency is not available. I have setup remaining items like your screenshot but nothing positive.

I spoke to Asus Live Chat and the representative told me that it's an hardware issue and nothing can be done regarding it.

@Kashif Tasneem, reading over your posts again, I see that you're jumping back and forth from wildly different firmware.

After flashing the firmware you want to test, do you do a full M&M Config as outlined in my signature below?

If you didn't, there could be the source of many, if not most of your issue(s) right there. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!