What's new

AC-66U random reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RubenPortier

Occasional Visitor
I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 on my main router (Asus AC-66u) since it was released, but since last week I'm getting some random reboots of the router, which leaves all of my client disconnected for max. 1 minute. The strange thing is, the router seems to reboot in less then 1 minute. When doing a hard reboot (press the power button twice) it takes about 1 minute of more to fully start with working connections (WAN).

Another thing I've noticed is that the routers leds (LAN 1 - 4, WAN en WiFi) do not turn of when the reboot happens. It like the router is not really rebooting, it's just working as it is normally according to the leds. All the clients disconnect and then get their connection back in less then 1 minute. The router is not reachable during the disconnect. The log then shows uptime 20 seconds (or a little higher, depending on how long I take to log in to the router), which should mean an actual reboot has happend.

I've no idea what is wrong, and the problem seems to be getting worse. The intervals at which the "reboots" happen seem to be getting shorter. There are some strange lines in my log, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the "reboots". There is also some of the log missing (time-wise). I've noticed that the time is not right, even when set to the correct time zone (GMT +1 Brussels). The time is 2 hours off, which seems weird, could this be some timing-bug? I have a NTP-server set, which is pool.ntp.org.

I hope someone can help me further with my issue.

sure it router dcing? and not the modem feeding the router? cause I lose internet everyone now and then, cause the modem losing connection (lights went from solid green to orange/red/blinking) for min before it reestablish it

The AC66U only reboots once a week like I have it scheduled

Repeater mode?

The router is in the normal router mode, not repeater. I'm sure it's not the modem as none of the clients is able to ping the router locally when the disconnect happens.

I had similar problem until I switched ipv6 off. In my case pppoe + ipv6 + transmission = random reboots.

I had similar problem until I switched ipv6 off. In my case pppoe + ipv6 + transmission = random reboots.
Wow thank you for the information! I'm using IPv6 myself. I could try disabling the feature but I'm actually using it on all clients now.

Keep seeing a lot of these in the log:

Oct 25 18:03:36 kernel: br0: neighbor 8000.00:1d:60:ac:54:04 lost on port 1(vlan1)
Oct 25 18:03:36 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

Is this normal?

Last edited:
Bumpedy di bump...

Sorry for the bump but this issue is really starting to annoy me. Does nobody know a fix for this?

Make sure all software is up to date on all machines, esp. the one that continues to drop. It may be a mis-configured device or a device sending malformed packets...are you on Comcast?

I'm not on Comcast as far as I know. could it be a device crashing my router? The message I keep seeing in the logs could be related to this or not? Because then I know on which device the problem starts.

On the Tools>OtherSettings page, double check that that the tweak to drop neighbor solicitation broadcasts is set to No.

On the Tools>OtherSettings page, double check that that the tweak to drop neighbor solicitation broadcasts is set to No.
Thanks for the info, but the option is set to the default "No".

I'm not on Comcast, my ISP is Telenet (Belgium provider).

I did an upgrade to the newest stable Merlin build and a full reset of the settings. But the router just crashed again after working for over 16 hours. I have no idea what's wrong. Could this be hardware-related? I noticed that after a crash half of the system log shows Aug 1 as date for the log-entries. I have no idea if this is a browser bug or related to my crashes. I would really love to find a solution for this issue because it's starting to get annoying as f**k. Is there a way I could dive into the actual system logs an see what's going on?

Probably RAM chips problem, run memtest on it.

In the past i found a few routers with faulty RAM, memtest does identify it and show you when it's the case.

All you need to do is to run the binary through SSH/Telnet and let it run there, if you don't know how I can send you the binary file else you can compile it yourself.

In the past i found a few routers with faulty RAM, memtest does identify it and show you when it's the case.

All you need to do is to run the binary through SSH/Telnet and let it run there, if you don't know how I can send you the binary file else you can compile it yourself.
I would love to get a working binary for memtest. I'm familiar with compiling applications, but I have no idea where I could get a good memtest that works on the router :). And uploading a binary is so much easier :). How long should I run that memtest, or does it proceed and finish by itself?

Just curious, is this the particular mem-test you're using? http://pyropus.ca/software/memtester/

EDIT: I've been trying to compile the memtester, but I cannot get the make (build-essentials?) to be installed on the router. I've tried compiling the memtester on a different machine (Ubuntu 16.04) and then transferring the files over to the router, but it wont run (error: syntax error: unexpected end of file). Probably because it's compiled for different hardware...

Last edited:
Until the test loop is over, it doesn't take too long from what i remember, the RAM ammount is not much, 256MB only.