What's new

AC-68u Client Mode to Multiple WLANS in Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Christopher Beaumont

New Around Here
Hi,

First, I am running several ac68's with VLAN trunking on the LAN side to separate SSIDs to bridge groups with the VLANS... but Ive been doing that with another build (although I am getting ready to test with Merlin).

I've been interested in setting a 68 up to connect as a client to Multiple WLANs.
As is that wasn't enough of a question.... all the WLANS use the same /24 address range.
SO
A) Is/has there been a build that would not only allow an ac68 or other device to connect to more than one WLAN as a client.
B) Allow NAT mapping not only from/to IP addresses on those WLANs, but to a specific Interface and IP (which is likely to be the same IP on each WLAN... lets say its always 10.5.5.9 or 10.5.5.100 and commonly tcp 80 or 8080, udp 8554) .
Oh... and a WOL keep alive for the WLAN device would be nice ;p

It should be obvious what/why I am asking... and its probably not new thought :/

On the LAN side, the NAT may vary to differentiate between WLANs

so:
<ac68IpAddress:8001> NAT > WLAN w0.1|10.5.5.9:8554
<ac68IpAddress:8002> NAT > WLAN w0.2|10.5.5.9:8554
<ac68IpAddress:8003> NAT > WLAN w0.3|10.5.5.9:8554
<ac68IpAddress:8004> NAT > WLAN w0.4|10.5.5.9:8554
etc

Thanks in advance!

No, asuswrt and asuswrt-merlin don't support anything like that at all. The only wireless client modes they support are repeater and media bridge (or an AiMesh node).

I must be dumb, the 'why' isn't obvious to me? :)

Not only will any Asus (or other manufacturers) router not allow this, but I also don't know of any client device that can connect to multiple WLAN networks simultaneously either. :)

I must be dumb, the 'why' isn't obvious to me? :)

Not only will any Asus (or other manufacturers) router not allow this, but I also don't know of any client device that can connect to multiple WLAN networks simultaneously either. :)

what about this: just about any modern smartphone connects simultaneously to the cellular network and the nearest wifi network it has credentials for. you can get tablets that function that way too. Further, they pretty much all have bluetooth connectivity, bringing that to 3 different and not uncompetitive/uncomplimentary protocols.

Couple this with the generality that these routers have extremely similar, if not exactly the same, mobos, processors/chipsets and possibly radios to those devices, I like the OP's drift...even if I don't understand his question or the why behind it.

what about this: just about any modern smartphone connects simultaneously to the cellular network and the nearest wifi network it has credentials for. you can get tablets that function that way too. Further, they pretty much all have bluetooth connectivity, bringing that to 3 different and not uncompetitive/uncomplimentary protocols.

Couple this with the generality that these routers have extremely similar, if not exactly the same, mobos, processors/chipsets and possibly radios to those devices, I like the OP's drift...even if I don't understand his question or the why behind it.

Connecting to LTE and WiFi simultaneously is not the same thing as connecting to two WiFi AP's with the same client.

Probably not, but I’m sure there are similarities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!