What's new

AC-86u AIMesh help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zippaks

New Around Here
Hello guys.

I am trying to build stable internet for my office but I am little confused.
I have like 50 clients(10-15 on each node) in my AIMesh(2x AC-86U + 2x AC-1900U).
For the last months I was using the default settings but my two AC-86U
obviously had problems with that. Every day one of the routers(AC-86U) 5Ghz
band was disappearing(the hardware light is still there but the band is dead).
You are able to still see the SSID but you could not connect to it and at the same
time you are able to connect to the other node's 5Ghz.
Only restart was fixing it until it happens again. On the other hand my two
AC-1900U never had those problems.

Yesterday I just deleted all settings and did hard reset on all routers.
Now i disabled the 5Ghz band and I am using only 2,4Ghz. I will try to go like that
for 1-2 weeks and see how it goes. Also i played with the settings so if you could take a look
and give me some advice I will appreciate - pics bottom*
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_81049
My setup : 2x AC-86u + 2x AC-1900U (AIMesh - all nodes connected trough Ethernet cable)

\AC-86U/(main mother router)
|||
\|/
(Switch) -----> AC-86U(node)
|||
\|/
AC-1900U(node) ------->AC-1900U(node)

Router1.png Router2.png

Last edited:
Hello guys.

I am trying to build stable internet for my office but I am little confused.
I have like 50 clients(10-15 on each node) in my AIMesh(2x AC-86U + 2x AC-1900U).
For the last months I was using the default settings but my two AC-86U
obviously had problems with that. Every day one of the routers(AC-86U) 5Ghz
band was disappearing(the hardware light is still there but the band is dead).
You are able to still see the SSID but you could not connect to it and at the same
time you are able to connect to the other node's 5Ghz.
Only restart was fixing it until it happens again. On the other hand my two
AC-1900U never had those problems.
Yesterday I just deleted all settings and did hard reset on all routers.
Now i disabled the 5Ghz band and I am using only 2,4Ghz. I will try to go like that
for 1-2 weeks and see how it goes. Also i played with the settings so if you could take a look
and give me some advice I will appreciate - pics bottom*
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_81049
My setup : 2x AC-86u + 2x AC-1900U (AIMesh - all nodes connected trough Ethernet cable)

\AC-86U/(main mother router)
|||
\|/
(Switch) -----> AC-86U(node)
|||
\|/
AC-1900U(node) ------->AC-1900U(node)

Wireless general settings https://imgur.com/8NAeGVf
Wireless professional
j4gQLcY
https://imgur.com/a/lb14ZsQ
9lUceZ9

I've seen this 86U 'can't connect to 5.0 GHz SSID' issue twice, most recently on 81351 with no Trend Micro features enabled and no Smart Connect (separate SSIDs). A reboot clears it.

I don't think it is a settings issue.

I think it is a firmware or maybe hardware issue. If it is chronic and not reported much around here, I would consider it a hardware issue.

Otherwise, it might respond to a firmware re-install/update and/or a factory default reset and configuration from scratch.

BTW, I would set/force each node connection priority to wired/Ethernet just to be sure the wired backhauls are being used.

OE

I've seen this 86U 'can't connect to 5.0 GHz SSID' issue twice, most recently on 81351 with no Trend Micro features enabled and no Smart Connect (separate SSIDs). A reboot clears it.

I don't think it is a settings issue.

I think it is a firmware or maybe hardware issue. If it is chronic and not reported much around here, I would consider it a hardware issue.

Otherwise, it might respond to a firmware re-install/update and/or a factory default reset and configuration from scratch.

BTW, I would set/force each node connection priority to wired/Ethernet just to be sure the wired backhauls are being used.

OE

Thanks for the advice mate.

I was having a lot more 5Ghz drops back when i was on older version but i did't hard reset my router after updating it to 81049.
Back then the 5Ghz was going down like 3 times a day and after update if I am lucky up to 3 days without going down. It's frustrating
because only random 5Ghz band goes down. Once the main router's or the node's band.

Thanks for the advice mate.

I was having a lot more 5Ghz drops back when i was on older version but i did't hard reset my router after updating it to 81049.
Back then the 5Ghz was going down like 3 times a day and after update if I am lucky up to 3 days without going down. It's frustrating
because only random 5Ghz band goes down. Once the main router's or the node's band.

Then I would reset and re-configure from scratch.

Removing the nodes from the AiMesh will automatically reset them.

Use the router WebUI Restore w/Initialize to reset and clear logged data in its /jffs folder.

Then configure the router from scratch and add the nodes.

More fun! :)

OE

Then I would reset and re-configure from scratch.

Removing the nodes from the AiMesh will reset them.

Use the router WebUI Restore w/Initialize to reset and clear logged data in its /jffs folder.

Then configure the router from scratch and add the nodes.

OE

That's what exactly I did yesterday. Now I am using only 2,4Ghz just to see if it goes well for a week.
I played with the settings that time(i put images)

That's what exactly I did yesterday. Now I am using only 2,4Ghz just to see if it goes well for a week.
I played with the settings that time(i put images)

If conditions permit it, you could remove the suspect 86U and move the remaining nodes around to maintain adequate coverage, and continue running both bands.

I suggest this test because your 2.4 GHz-only test is not going to troubleshoot the 5.0 GHz issue.

Is the troubled 86U a node? Do its wired LAN clients connect ok?

OE

If conditions permit it, you could remove the suspect 86U and move the remaining nodes around to maintain adequate coverage, and continue running both bands.

I suggest this test because your 2.4 GHz-only test is not going to troubleshoot the 5.0 GHz issue.

Is the troubled 86U a node? Do its wired LAN clients connect ok?

OE

The problem is that I don't know which is the troubled 86U because as I said sometimes the 5Ghz on the node goes down and other times the mother router 5Ghz goes down.
I am testing with 2,4ghz only because there were 3-4 times which that band died so I assumed that router could not hold 2 bands with default settings at the same time(which is quite unlikely).
So after that like 5 days if I have stable connection without dead bands I will start the 5Ghz.

To be honest I don't really need the 5Ghz but if I have that option I will try to use it.
If not I am just going to return the routers.

I guess I could try your way if my test fails and will put AC-1900U as main router.
And yes wired LAN clients don't have any problems.

Thanks for your time!

The problem is that I don't know which is the troubled 86U because as I said sometimes the 5Ghz on the node goes down and other times the mother router 5Ghz goes down.
I am testing with 2,4ghz only because there were 3-4 times which that band died so I assumed that router could not hold 2 bands with default settings at the same time(which is quite unlikely).
So after that like 5 days if I have stable connection without dead bands I will start the 5Ghz.

To be honest I don't really need the 5Ghz but if I have that option I will try to use it.
If not I am just going to return the routers.

I guess I could try your way if my test fails and will put AC-1900U as main router.
And yes wired LAN clients don't have any problems.

Thanks for your time!

I would re-download the firmware and re-flash and reset the 86Us. Worth a shot.

OE

If I read everything correctly, you've got a wired backhaul that you expect to use between all nodes.

IF that is correct, I'd ditch AiMesh, reset all nodes to factory and set up a main with everything else as a wired AP.

I tried AiMesh with AC3100's and AC68's and it was nothing but headaches and hard to diagnose "random" issues.

Since going back to an AP mode setup I haven't had a problem. Use a program like WiFi Analyzer to set up the channel frequencies for each AP, set all the SSIDs the same, set all the recommendations for beamforming/.... and stop chasing ghosts.

I wouldn't use AiMesh unless I absolutely had no other option.

If I missed that you don't have wired backhaul I apologize in advance.