What's new

AC RT88U and layer 2 switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ugo1

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I need to separate my network in two parts (HOME and OFFICE) each one must share an ethernet printer and internet.
Home "subnet" must not see Office "subnet".
Office "subnet" must not see Home "subnet"

My idea is to plug the printer to the router and plug the ruoter in link aggregation mode to the layer switch (swictch port 1 & 2) and in the switch configuration use

vlan 1 default
port 1 Untagged
port 2 Untagged

other vlan
port 1 Tagged
port 2 Tagged

This configuration works?

Ugo

Hi,

I need to separate my network in two parts (HOME and OFFICE) each one must share an ethernet printer and internet.
Home "subnet" must not see Office "subnet".
Office "subnet" must not see Home "subnet"

My idea is to plug the printer to the router and plug the ruoter in link aggregation mode to the layer switch (swictch port 1 & 2) and in the switch configuration use

vlan 1 default
port 1 Untagged
port 2 Untagged

other vlan
port 1 Tagged
port 2 Tagged

This configuration works?

Ugo

NO - LAG doesn't do this, but a managed switch can.

But what you can do - if you have a managed switch is create two VLAN's... note to the unknowing - always keep VLAN's above 100, many consumer routers use VLAN's tags below 100 for internal purposes.

VLAN101 for Home
VLAN102 for Office

Assign them to ports appropriately..

The Port that the Ethernet printer is attached to - Make that Port associated with VLAN101 and VLAN102, and that should allow access to both.

The challenge you might run into is that with VLAN's, you basically have two LAN's, and this is at the MAC layer, the IP layer, those two LAN's are separate and unique, and you didn't mention the printer... if the print server inside the Printer supports this or not...

Hi
my printer is an epson Px810PX so no print server

In the previuos post I don't write that swich is a layer 2 (hp 1810-8G)

my vlan setting shuold be

vlan / ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 U U T T T T T T
2 T T E U U U U U
3 T T U E E E E E

Ugo

As long as both are in the main network and then do /24 subnets, you should be ok...

Check with Epson to see if the printer is VLAN aware or not - that makes things a lot easier...

BTW - as above, you actually have four VLAN's configured in your diagram, but that's my view... (everyone forgets about the default VLAN)

Might consider a simpler approach...

Assign two ports as Office VLAN - make that VLAN101 - let's say that's ports 1 and 2
Port 3 is attached to the Printer - so port 3 is a member of both VLAN101, and the default VLAN (it's an implied bridge)

Ports 4-8 are the default VLAN - and Port 3 is a member of both default and VLAN101

With IP range assignments, you'll have to have two subnets - for example 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 - one of those is assigned to the Default, and the other assigned to VLAN101.

Let the DHCP server manage the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, and the Office Subnet of 192.168.2.0/24 (again, I'm using these as examples), statically configure them, as most consumer AP's cannot manage more than one subnet for DHCP.

Hi

I checked and in the printer manual there isn't words about vlans

BTW - as above, you actually have four VLAN's configured in your diagram, but that's my view... (everyone forgets about the default VLAN)
Vlan1 is the one named 1 in my diagram
vlan / ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 U U T T T T T T

You mean that the default one must be all Untagged? From this youtube video seem not necessary (I'm confused now)

I don't think that the swich is able to create the two subnets

Ugo

Ugo

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!