What's new

AC1900P noob: AiProtection yay or nay?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amd7674

Regular Contributor
I'm very happy new owner of this wonderful router running latest Merlin's fw.
I have 2 young kids at home with their PCs and Ipads (home work, leisure..the usual kids staff, NO GAMING though LOL).
Is AiProtection good to use on their devices (probably my too)? What settings/options are recommended.

From my understanding AiProtection won't use too much CPU on the router. The only thing is it will send web history to Trend Micro. Is this only on protected PCs (by MAC address) or is it full network.

Thank you in advance.

AiProtection? A very big 'yay' from me.

I enable all of the options except for the email alerts.

I also use DNS Filtering (OpenDNS Family) in Global Filter mode too.

Very good 'edge' protection for all devices on the network (you can allow specific devices to ignore the OpenDNS Family filter though).

AiProtection? A very big 'yay' from me.

I enable all of the options except for the email alerts.

I also use DNS Filtering (OpenDNS Family) in Global Filter mode too.

Very good 'edge' protection for all devices on the network (you can allow specific devices to ignore the OpenDNS Family filter though).

Perfect I will get on it tonight :)

Thanks you for your help.

Just an update... All is up and running. I haven't notice any noticeable network hit with enabled options.

Thanks again guys !!!

When I enable the AiProtection I lose the FA (Flow acceleration) portion of NAT Acceleration but still have CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) enabled. With both FA and CTF I can hit 940 Mbps up/down with negligible cpu usage. With only CTF I still get 940 but cpu core 1 pegs 100%.