What's new

AC3100 Repeater mode issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lilstone87

Very Senior Member
Well I'm running my AC3100 in repeater mode, on merlin's newer build, from within the last couple weeks. Anyways I'm having an issue with devices connecting threw the AC3100's wireless, and DHCP address handling. It seems devices struggle to get DHCP addresses when going threw the AC3100 before the main router. I can connect these devices to the main router's wireless, with no issue getting dhcp leases, and such correctly. So at times I can connect to the AC3100 okay, but after a period of time.. the devices will start having issue with dhcp. Rebooting the AC3100 will resolve this for a period of time, but will happen again.

From what I have collected myself, it seems the AC3100 is struggling to pass DHCP addresses/leases from main router to my devices. So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this type of issue when running there asus router in Repeater mode? As this is a bit frustrating, and I plan to load a build, or two of asus firmware's on my AC3100. Just to see if it's indeed a bug within the firmware. Because honestly I don't think it's a dhcp issue on the main router.. as before using the AC3100 in my network, no devices I can remember having issues getting addresses assigned to them correctly.

Rebooting the AC3100 will resolve this for a period of time, but will happen again.

this is one of the primary issues with repeating as if the signal is lost for any reason from the primary router the repeater will then have the issues as you have described

it could be the 3100 is to far away from the main router and thus is having connectivity issues

whats the main router if your using such a good router as a repeater ?

Well lets just say.. netgear just announced it. So yeah main router is pretty good. Also every time i have check signal between the two via 5GHz band. The AC3100 shows a link rate of 1733 with -50, or so db signal.

I want to keep 5GHz signal as best as possible on both sides of my home, and so this setup works best. Just this dhcp issue is bothering me a bit, reason i started this thread. To see if others have seen similar type issues when running repeater mode.

To see if others have seen similar type issues when running repeater mode.

yup well known issue with any repeater / extender

so no way you can run an ethernet lead from the main router to the 3100 and run the 3100 in ap mode

I'm having the same issue with my AC3100. I have an AC88U as main router, AC3100 and AC68U as repeaters. WiFi clients connecting to AC68U acquire DHCP addresses just fine. Can't say the same for the AC3100. The AC3100 is closer to the AC88U than the AC68U. All routers are on the Merlin 380.66 build.

I know what your talking about I've got an AC88U same as the 3100 just with more ports. At times when having a client connect to the AC88 It will just get stuck on Acquiring ip address. Sometimes if I connect to the main router then back again it will work or change bands other times nope.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!