What's new

AC3200 Routers By July?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Will it be required to have two 5 GHz networks on the AC3200 to be able to have, for example two clients at both 1.3 GHz speed at once?

Can it use the antennas smartly? Let's say you have a three 2x2 clients, will they all get 866.5 Mbps?

Will it be required to have two 5 GHz networks on the AC3200 to be able to have, for example two clients at both 1.3 GHz speed at once?

Can it use the antennas smartly? Let's say you have a three 2x2 clients, will they all get 866.5 Mbps?
Both 5 GHz radios are full 3x3 and capable of 1300 Mbps maximum link rates. One is dedicated to low band and the other to high.

Radio assignment is based on actual link rates in use. For example, if you have a 3x3 client with a low signal level and therefore low link rate, it could be assigned to the same radio as a 1x1 client with strong to medium signal and maximum link rate.

Clients can move between radios as their link rates change. My understanding is that the algorithm tries to make the change when devices are idle, so to not risk breaking connection.

I thought the Asus RT-AC3200 was gonna launch before the Asus RT-AC87U which is now an AC2400 router. I plan on getting both since Asus is King of routers right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the Asus RT-AC3200 was gonna launch before the Asus RT-AC87U which is now an AC2400 router. I plan on getting both since Asus is King of routers right now.

The AC87U was announced in January, while the AC3200 was only announced in May/June.

I wouldn't expect the RT-AC3200 for a few months. Source code for that device only started appearing in Asuswrt about a month ago.

And if I were to bet, I'd say the R8000 will be the only AC3200 router on the market for quite some time. Broadcom Xtream platform was only launched back in April, and typically it can take 8-10 months for manufacturers to develop a product around a new platform. Netgear seems to always be the exception, as they were also first to market a Northstar-based router (R6250) mere months after the platform became available (with all the side effects that were mentioned before since it was based on unfinished Broadcom code).

r8000 is out, dieing for the review.
got one last night, can get 40GB/s file transfer speed from wired server to Surface Pro 3!!!

r8000 is out, dieing for the review.
got one last night, can get 40GB/s file transfer speed from wired server to Surface Pro 3!!!

40GBps? Find that very hard to believe. :D

How? You take about 4TB of storage on a HDD in the wired server. You pop the disk out of the server, in to a USB3 enclosure and then attach it to the surface 3. I figure if you are quick, that maybe takes about 100 seconds to do, or around 40GB/sec.

I don't really understand the point of devices like these, are they aimed at a large household or small business customers having loads of contentiously connected devices?

The whole deal with RT-AC3200 seems to be it's 3x separate Wireless NICs so you have 1x 2,4GHz, 1x "low-band" 5,0GHz and 1x "high-band" 5,0GHz, correct? So you will have every 2,4GHz device on it's own NIC, all 802.11n "low-band" 5,0GHz on it's own and a separate one for all 802.11ac "high-band" 5,0GHz devices?

I suppose this is to ensure maximum throughput for all kind of devices, you are not forced to "mix" connections no more, you simply separate each and every category. It's pretty much like having one router combined with three access point whereas you dedicate one for each spectrum?

The big question is, what's the real benefit by doing so? Especially for home users I can't see that huge advantage, if you go ahead and simply separate the 2,4GHz for "low-end" device and dedicate the 5,0GHz for "high-end" devices you will get more or less the same experience, would you not?

Or might it be to ensure that you can get optimum performance on a "wireless only" environment, making so that you might dedicate a entire NIC for your connection towards a media bridge or WDS connection?

Simultaneous dual-band routers already let you separate 2.4 and 5 GHz devices manually. The NETGEAR R8000 does not do 2.4 to 5 GHz band steering, so no advantage there.

The benefit of AC3200 routers comes when you have multiple 5 GHz devices. You don't even need that many. I was able to show a total throughput advantage with only two devices. Compare the two stress test plots here.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-asus-rt-ac87u-review-part-2?showall=&start=2

Do we have any information on the internals? I suppose it's going to be more or less the same as the RT-AC87? With pretty much the same firmware and features.

Hi,
Marketing ploy? I am sure some will benefit from it but my beef is where are matching client
devices? Like an automobile, not every one buys Camaros, Mustangs. I just get what's good for my need. I am sure some will buy whatever new comes out for bragging right.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!