What's new

[AC5300] Netflix & Amazon Streaming Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solo

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

Running Merlin's 380.59_0, active 3-band SM, Adaptive QoS / Media Streming, Multi-User MIMO on.
I have about 15 devices on this router, all via wifi. Using an Amazon FireTV1st gen which is about 10 ft away.
FireTV shows signal strength as 'Excellent'. Client list shows @5G-1, TX15 RX250 +/- (TX at times @300).
If the stats are correct, this FireTV device should be getting roughly 30 megabytes / second transfer rate.
Yet streaming from Netflix or Amazon Prime is pixelated (it catches up at some point but not full HD).

Any ideas?

In the meantime I discovered this video: https://www.netflix.com/title/70136810
It is actually a test showing your real speed and resolution as you stream from Netflix.

Results as follows:

FireTV via wifi (N): 1750 kbps 720x480, PAR 32:27
Xbox One via wifi (N): 1750 kbps 720x480, PAR 32:27
Laptop 1, via wifi (AC) 560 kbps 520x340 PAR 32:37
Laptop 1, hardwired via router 1750 kbps 720x480 PAR 32:37
Lapto 1, hardwired to modem 1750 kbps 720x480 PAR 32:37

My Speedtest result hardwired to modem is 135/18.5
My Speedtest result via wifi is 125/15
My modem signal levels are great
Downloading 1GB file from thinkbroadband at 15MB/s
Downloading 1GB file from reliableservers at 17MB/s
Google Video Quality check shows 99% HD stream

Definitely there is an issue with the video streaming speed on Netflix for some reason.
However it appears that this is not related to the router as it's the same even modem direct.
I will have to troubleshoot with my ISP because the only explanation is that they are throttling.

Will come back with info :)

Last edited:
Goddammit it was the stupid Netflix plan! Apparently they downgraded my account to the '1 Screen SD' plan for some reason (which btw costs $1 less per month vs the next tier). I switched the plan in the account settings, low and behold 5800 kbps 1920x1080 gorgeousness! Unbelievable o_Oo_Oo_O

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!